HS hockey

Home Forums General Forums Minnesota Sports HS hockey

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Walleye-Student
    Participant

After six straight losses in the championship game Hermantown finally stands tallest after spanking “The Breck School”. So glad to see that! Finale…Wayzata-Eden Prairie. Sad no northern schools, at least it’s not represented by another private school with “paid players” !

MNdrifter
      Participant

X’s 2 WS. I love the HS state hockey tourney. Been pretty busy catching up on the games via DVR. I’m kinda disappointed at all the blowouts this year. What happened to all the nail biter, multiple OT games? Those in my opinion are way funner to watch than a bunch of kids getting hat tricks. One more game. Should be a good one!

he gone.
        slovene
        Participant

Walleye-Student wrote:
          After six straight losses in the championship game Hermantown finally stands tallest after spanking “The Breck School”. So glad to see that! Finale…Wayzata-Eden Prairie. Sad no northern schools, at least it’s not represented by another private school with “paid players” !

Yes, I was also glad to see a northern team win, BUT, keep in mind Hermantown ain’t the small town team they used to be. 11 current varsity players either didn’t come up in their system or don’t live in the district, they just play there. My daughter’s Hibbing High School teacher’s kid plays for them as well. They are becoming the very team they complained about for years (St. Thomas Academy). Though technically not recruiting (open enrollment, which IMO ruined high school hockey), this all stinks!! Hopefully with the win today, they may reevaluate their program and move up. They’re already beating the AA schools in peewees and bantams.

Me veseli, dober dan!
          Walleye-Student
          Participant

Wow, thanks for the update on Hermantown. Didn’t really know, just got disgusted with these private “cities schools” recruiting and paying tuition to build their lineup. Total bs. I started following back in the early 70’s. I always rooted for those northern or range schools. Edina was despised! Lately I’ve liked Duluth East, was always a challenge for these city “elites”. Don’t know although I suppose I wouldn’t be surprised if they now are following the Hermantown model. Anyway, Wayzata has stormed back to tie. They’re playing the way I played, dropping the hammer. Two 5 minute majors but they got EP looking over their shoulders!

slovene
            Participant

Again , not putting them down, they have a great program. Just grew up in the play for your community good or bad environment. It was good when I played in the 80’s, not so much since, but give credit to the kids who have stayed here through thick and thin. Not Hermantown’s fault that kids (parents) want to play there for a chance at the big show, just stating that when you can pull that kind of talent in, small schools like Hibbing, Greenway, Falls, etc don’t have much of a chance anymore. I applaud teams such as Roseau and Warroad. Those kids take pride in the Jersey they put on, good or bad!!!

Me veseli, dober dan!
              slovene
              Participant

And yes, would like to see Wayzata win. First time in the big game!!!

Me veseli, dober dan!
                slovene
                Participant

Sorry, a win, congrats to them!! Great game!!

Me veseli, dober dan!
                  MNdrifter
                  Participant

Crap…… After a long day on the ice, I settled into my chair to watch and fell asleep. Woke up just as they were celebrating. Guess I’m going to have to watch it on DVR in the morning. Highlights looked like an awesome game. Congrats Wayzeta, and all who made it to state this year.

he gone.
                    slovene
                    Participant

Also congrats go out to Grand Rapids and Bemidji for coming back and bringing hardware north to their hometowns!!!!

Me veseli, dober dan!
                      slovene
                      Participant

Kind of ironic. At the end of tv tourney coverage, even the commentator eluded to wanting Plante to reevaluate the program after the seventh state championship appearance. Apparently I’m not the only one weighing in on this subject.

Me veseli, dober dan!
                        vexman
                        Participant

Been in Hermantown 20 years came here from Hibbing for work.i have 3 kids that have graduated and will graduate and no they didn’t play hockey. Those same kids that played baseball ,hockey and football went to kindergarten with my kids . so the people that believe they recruit kids that’s hogwash. Thx. Fun fact Hermantown enrollment 626 Hibbing. 634

MNdrifter
                          Participant

2016 State all Hockey hair.

he gone.
                            slovene
                            Participant

Congrats to both teams. Trophies are coming back to where they belong! 2 section 7 state champs…impressive! Great tourney overall. Both classes.

Me veseli, dober dan!
                              slovene
                              Participant

Waiting for the official hockey hair video…

Me veseli, dober dan!
                                BrianHoffies
                                Participant

Congrats to all the kids. A weekend to remember for their whole lives.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.