I hit a dock now what?

Home Forums Minnesota Fishing Forums Open Water Talk I hit a dock now what?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Jordan
    Participant

I agree with the above poster. Very rarely do I sang a dock/boat/canopy but occasionally ricochet off of them. Control is key. If I do catch the dock, I ask the owner or go to the dock if they are not there and retrieve it (from my boat) and move on. And as said above, I’m not gonna bombard a dock if a person(s) are out there enjoying themselves. As far as lure retrieval goes, if I can get to it I’m going to attempt to retrieve it. And if you wreck property that is not yours, you pay for it.

KEEP REELING!
      snow
      Participant

Never had an issue hitting/snagging a dock and retrieveing on any lake except minnetonka,more than once while working shoreline docks one of us work get hung up, a few times the property owner was out,one yelled at us and cut the line,couple other times they would belller,hit my dock and I’ll keep yur lure,other times we would get an earful of fishing elsewhere or why do you have to fish my dock or hit my boat whlie casting,I get that as some of our rigs are on the heavy side with lead and could chip the gel coat on a glass boat.

The whoa’s of bass fishing….

pulleye16
        Participant

HawgFarmer wrote:

pulleye16 wrote:

HawgFarmer wrote:
          100% get your lure, even if the owner is watching. They will understand, otherwise there have been threads that resulted in the takeaway that docks are on public property can -technically- can be used by the public.

Not sure who is telling who that someone’s dock is public property but it is in NO WAY public property…I’d do more reading up on that if I were you.

As for hitting a dock, yes, absolutely go get your lure.

Who crapped on YOUR dock?

Point taken- but would appreciate a kinder tone. No harm was intended. Post edited.

There was no tone other than the info you posted was wrong and I was informing the thread about it. Sheeeesh, put on your big girl panties. Sensitive much? How do you get tone from words on a screen?

IronDioPriest
          Participant

Tie a 1/4oz or 3/8 oz weight on your line, set a hula-hoop in your grass, and practice hitting it from different distances. If you need to be up a little to match the angle of your boat to the water, stand on the front step. Once you can hit it almost every time, practice with a Frizbee instead of a hula hoop. Like anything in life, repetition is the mother of skill. Might as well become proficient at the thing you love, and avoid future dock-snagging situations a higher percentage of the time.

RetiredonOsakis
            Participant

I for one would appreciate it if you would retrieve your lure if you get hung up on my dock or lift. Wound up getting stuck by a wacky rigged worm setup taking my lift out last fall.

When it comes to fishing, the task of catching enough can never be accomplished, but the gap between catching and keeping can be filled with enough keeping of your catching to have a meal.
              Millhouse
              Participant

Another hilarious thread.

chris63
                Participant

Everything “depends”on stuff.If a private property owner is decent and/or sensible then yes by all means retrieve the lure.You have the potential for trouble if the owner perceives the Land under the dock as”their”property.I know there is language about high/low water in ordinances and lake association by-laws.If a lure is connected or hooked to a boat/dock or other private property is it not considered the property of the owner at that point???All questions for the legal eagles flying around here.(All debatable).I don’t think a lure or other items are worth a trip to a court hearing or worse a funeral.If you can “safely”retrieve the lure go get it.BTW………….If you used the Shining standard(Movie),correcting someone takes on a whole new meaning…..c63

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.