I want a new flasher

Home Forums Minnesota Fishing Forums Ice Fishing Talk I want a new flasher

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    beise
    Participant

I’m just retiring and I’m going to start ice fishing. and I’m looking for recommendations for on a flasher. I want the best bang for my buck. and I don’t want to have to ever replace it?

highbeeze24

The modern flashers have all really caught up with each other at this point. I would say Vexilar was king of the mountain for years, however, Marcum and Humminbird have certainly closed the gap. The new technologies such as Garmin livescope and panoptix  are worth considering but not necessary. I would recommend the Vexilar FL28. I have fished with the FL20 for years and really enjoy it. I then went to Devils with a guide last March and he set me up with a couple of FL28 units and the brightness and clarity is night and day between the two models. I think most Vexilar owners would verify that they have been hard on their units over the year yet the keep on ticking.

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score? Vince Lombardi
        Joehere
        Participant

Vexilar seems to be  “Honda”of fish finders for durable goods years running. Although you can get many more features/horns and whistles with more money, if your just looking at bang/value FL28 even though it might seem pricey, it would be my favorite.  Having not owned vexilar to be biased, if I were to start over buying entry level equipment it would be vexilar. Good luck and have fun,,,

eyes4life
          Participant

Vexilars are my choice…if fishing multiple lakes shallow and deep go with the 28 if your going to keep it simple an 18 or 20 will be just fine save a couple hundred bucks and invest it into good rods, line and tackle those add up too…

Awaiting the next bite...
            Chrisg1969
            Participant

I would start with a Vexilar fl8. Real basic unit does everything you really need. I own 2 of them and love them. I have caught many fish using the FL8

Bandersnatch
              Participant

+1 with the FL8

Still have mine, and have not ever “upgraded”.

It does what it is designed to do, the rest is my job.

Keith

Joehere
                Participant

Upgraded from the M-1 ,,,hope to use it for the shallow water, plus the automatic features seem nice. Ain’t gonna be able to hold off much longer.

Might be putting the ML away if no snow tomorrow.

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  orandausa

I am still rocking my old Marcum XL3 and a ICE -45. My ICE-55 died last year and that got me looking. I think when I have to replace my other two old ones I will go with something that will work for the boat in the summer and winter. To me that is how I would get the most bang for my buck.

But there is much research to be done. The new digital systems are a new ball game for me. I have noticed as I age what works for my eyes is more a need than all the bells and whistles. That is what I loved most about the ICE-55.

Congrats on retiring!

Yes, Yes that is a 39" Pike.
                    beise
                    Participant

I agree I’m leaning towards the Hummingbird chirp 5 or 7, they both have instant sonar and work with a flasher and regular sonar through the ice and work in the boat in the summer

Joehere
                      Participant

Well there ya go,,, the versatility of a boat/ice fishing set-up is nice. For myself the 7” screen on the lowrance hook2 I use in the boat in the summer is nice to use with the ice pack for winter, gps for new water or finding breaks/holes, sonar, all in one. Cons for me are it’s a little jacking around adjusting on the ice /can be tough to see on sunny days. Mainly going to use in the wheelhouse. For the single flasher choice it’s pretty nice. All I know for sure is this stinkin fishin channel causes me to buy a whole lot more STUFF than needed! But,,,heading into year 8 of retirement,,,I’ve been blessed & hope you and yours are too. Congratulations , you made it!

rxrated
                        Participant

I would recommend going with a Vexilar. Find one used on Craigslist, and get a better for a lower price like a FL18 or FL20. These are bulletproof machines and the customer support from Vexilar is incredible.

I do agree that there is better technology out there in other brands, but my FL20 works fine and I’ve used it for over 12 years, made upgrades to components and replaced a battery…couldn’t be happier

bigbad401
                          Participant

I had a Humminbird Ice-35 because for the price it was the best bang for the buck. But 2 years ago the transducer went out so I got a Garmin Striker 4 plus. I like the graph and a-scope better than the flasher. Most of the units out there will last a long time. So you would have to find out if you want a flasher or one of the newer lcd electronic units.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.