Ice Safety

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    TimBaker
    Participant

With the 06-07 ice fishing season upon us, its time think about and discuss ice dangers. No ice is ever to be considered 100% safe and the dangers only get worse.

A few things to keep in mind are

The rule of 3.
      Remember, “If its under 3 it wont hold me.”
      If the ice is 3″ and under, it is not safe at all.

Know the lake under the ice.
      Venturing out on thin ice can be deadly enough but on a strange lake only increases the dangers.
      Look for currents and open water and possible flash frozen areas.
      Current areas and flowages are some of the last areas to freeze, such areas are near dams and stream inlets. 4 inches of ice now can equal 1 inch of ice on your next step.

Always be prepared to take the plunge.
      So much emphisis is put on when you can walk out and what you can catch fish with; that being prepared for disaster is often overlooked.

Getting out of the danger is only as fast as you are prepared, and a few things to keep in mind are:

1. Travel light
      Don’t take it if you don’t need it and this includes pets.

2. Ice picks
      A $4.00 purchase may separate you from life and death.
      Keeping these around your neck may save it.
      Tip: To keep from getting poked by the points and to also keep them sharp simply take a chunk of an Ice Buster Bobber and insert over the ends. should you fall in, you can stab right through them so no need to worry about removing them.

3. Seal off the cuffs
      Rubber bands around the arm and leg cuffs can keep out the water and trap air in your suit in the event of a splash in.
      4. Jacket zipped and gloves on when moving on the ice
      Falling in with your jacket open can only spell disaster also make sure the waist rope is tied.
      5. Boots tied tight

6. Don’t venture out further than you can get back wet and safe
      A day with temps in the teens can be deadly if you don’t get to dry warmth soon.

7.Do Not Panic
      One of the most important things to remember once you go in, which in most cases will be a slow descent as the ice around you gives way is not to panic. Thrashing will break up the ice faster and give you less chance of getting out. Lay down in the direction you came from and get your picks going in a non panic fashion driving the picks hard enough to grip but not breaking up the ice. Pull yourself to dry ice and remember just because you are of the water its not time to stand up
      pick drag yourself at least 10 yards from where you went in get up and get moving off the ice also remember, going back for things like your gear etc only increases your chance of falling back in and not making it out.

8. Spud bar
      Helpful tool for not only chopping a hole it can also be used for testing ice ahead of you and in the event of an immediate splash in where you fall straight in it can sometimes be used as a support and also as a reaching stick to be pulled out by another person.

9. Use the Buddy System and never travel out alone.
      Having immediate assistance is very important in getting out. At least 1 person should always have 100′ rope with a loop fashioned on the end for a quick grab.

10. When in doubt don’t go out
      If you don’t feel safe chances are the ice isn’t

Does anyone else have any safety tips or suggestions?

Safe Fish’n

thunder
      Participant

Tim I am glad to see you still had the post to repost.These are some tips that are easy to follow and just may save someone’s life someday. Please pass on the info to any friends or family you have that go out on the hard water.

Stick
        Participant

I watched a video of a guy that offered tips on how to get out if you fall in. The biggest tip I got out of it was to not panic, maintain your head above water (so that you don’t gasp and suck in water), and KICK your legs when you’re at the edge of the ice. The kicking gets your body parallel to the ice and you can drag yourself out much easier.

It showed that you have MUCH more time than you’d think. Once you get over the initial shock, the water next to your body will warm up enough to steadily work at getting out.

Does anyone else know of the link to this web video and can you post it here. It initially made me think twice about going on the ice ever again, but what I “took home” was that calm heads should get you out.

May your house always smell like fish.
          JimDavidson
          Participant

Thanks for the information and let’s hope that we have a safe ice season and everyone uses their heads.

One item of reminder I can think of…..Ice and parking lot are not meant to be the same. Distribute the weight or end up like those fellows on Prior Lake last year.

Jim Davidson R.I.P
            June 11, 2009
            TimBaker
            Participant

Stick
              Meet professor Popsicle..
              http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200212/200212_popsicle_splash.html

video links are at the bottom.

Castaway
              Participant

Invest in some ice cleats.Even the cheap ones work well.I learned this the hard way when I slipped and fell up on URL and broke my leg in 2 places.And no I wasnt drinking till after it happened,then I was drinking a lot.Havnt been back since.

Also for ice pics I would buy the ones with the spring loaded ends that cover the points.These are inexpensive and much safer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.