ISO Quality Hand Fillet Knife

Home Forums Lake State Fishing Central General Discussion ISO Quality Hand Fillet Knife

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    N2i0c0k8
    Participant

Hey everyone!

This has probably been posted before but thought I’d try again. Looking for recommendations for a good quality fillet knife for my dad. He’s against the electric knife. He typically uses a cheap Rapala knife but I think he would really benefit from a good quality steel knife. Looking for any recommendations (no matter the price). Also trying to find a good and easy knife sharpener other then a whetstone. (He’s kinda stubborn and any kind of easy knife sharpening system that doesn’t ruin the blade would be perfect). Thanks in advance!

Bacardi
      Participant

Leech lake knife is the best I have used not cheap thou.

bottlebass
        Participant

I’d also be interested to hear what people use for knife sharpeners. Both for my fillet knives but also for my hunting knives.

MrB
          Participant

My go to knife for hand filleting has always been the Wustof fillet knife. Scalpel sharp, great precision and, believe it or not, I’ve never had to sharpen it. Never lost its edge. I bought it for my dad for Christmas probably 15 or 20 years ago. I really only use it for filleting northern pike Y bones. Works great. I’ve tried a lot of other blades and keep going back to the Wustof. Not cheap but well worth it.

bobcpg
            Participant

I use the Wustof and like it, it’s pretty flexible which I like.

Wusthof Classic 7-Inch Fillet Knife With Sheath https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FJOZ7K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_iUPdCbQ7H6M6F

I also have the boning knife for when I don’t want flex, it also works great.

Wusthof 4603 Boning Knife, 6 Inch, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005NANS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6VPdCbS3C0HR2

Good luck

JohnnyM
              Participant

I like my Cutco filet knife. adjustable length and has stayed sharp for 3+ years. A year ago I was bored watching infomercials and came across the “Work Sharp” knife sharper. Looked great on TV and for $69.99 decided why not. WOW what a purchase. For those who haven’t seen one, it’s basically a mini-belt sander for knives. Even a putz like me can sharpen knives sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm. I’ve let a couple buddies try it, then bought one. Great for hunting knives as well. Planning to buy 2 this X-mas for presents. JohnnyM

orandausa

Ever Sharp in North East sold me on the Mustad fillet knife. It is several steps below Wustof. I really like it. The one I bought is super flexible and sharp. Holds edge well.

I also have a Leech lake knife that is awesome.

I too have been looking at sharpers. The draw through ones never seem to get a shave your arms edge on them. I hand sharpen my wood chisels so maybe I could do that for fillet knives. For now I have Ever Sharp sharpen them once a year and use a steel to dress the edge when needed.

Yes, Yes that is a 39" Pike.
                  Shortline
                  Participant

Being somewhat of a sucker for knives, I have experience with quite a variety. Personally, I love the leech lake fillet knife. They are very nice, but pricey. Probably my single favorite for an all-around fillet knife.

For the biggest bang for the buck, though, my vote goes to thw dexter russel sani-safe models. I have a couple that were in the low $20 range and they hold an edge well, are durable, and sharpen nicely. They are a basic workhorse of a knife, but lack any sort of asthetics or craftsmanship. A dexter and a worksharp sharpener would make a great gift pack.

It's better to be in the boat with a drink on the rocks than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.......
                    Shackrat
                    Participant

My kids bought me a Leech Lake knife a few years ago, it is my favorite-
                      I also purchased a Dexter knife for Alaska (popular up there), this one is good for bigger fish and less expensive.
                      As for a sharpener, Google Ken Onion- this thing is the greatest. I can sharpen anything from fillet knives to spud bars.

N2i0c0k8
                      Participant

Yeah, the Ken Onion is EXACTLY what I’m looking for. I’m gonna go with that one. Still doing some research on all the knives recommended.

pulleye16
                        Participant

I purchased the Leech Lake knife (okay, it’s technically a Custom Cutlery knife) a few years ago and I’m not a fan. I’ve since “fished” around the inter web and found many others having issues lately. Many complain they didn’t arrive sharp. I could barely filet a walleye the day I received it. Anyways, I’ve had better luck with my cheap rapala knife.

laportian
                          Participant

Chicago cutlery 7 inch fillet knife. I have one from the mid 90’s that has thousands of walleyes filleted by it from my commercial fishing days on Red. They are durable and last forever. Think they cost around 20 bucks. They are a little stiff. But I have had days where I did 500 walleyes and theses knives work well. I just sharpen with a cheapy pull through

orandausa

Take that knife to Ever Sharp in NE MPLS and they will get it razor sharp for you.

Also Custom Cutlery site says they have a cheap importer using the same name as them. Maybe you got one of those.

http://www.customcutlery.com/

Yes, Yes that is a 39" Pike.
                              pulleye16
                              Participant

orandausa wrote:
                                Take that knife to Ever Sharp in NE MPLS and they will get it razor sharp for you.

Also Custom Cutlery site says they have a cheap importer using the same name as them. Maybe you got one of those.

http://www.customcutlery.com/

Yeah..unfortunately it was bought from them direct. I got a sharpener recommendation from them and it seemed to help some but honestly it is probably slightly worse then my cheapo rapala knife. Another interesting factoid about the knife, it struggled immensely on perch!

If you’d ever catch a fish, I’ll bring it over some day and you can try it…maybe it’s just me! If it’s just mine, maybe I’ll send it back.

JackLevi
                                Participant

Hey everyone! This has probably been posted before but thought I’d try again. Looking for recommendations for a good quality fillet knife for my dad. He’s against the electric knife. He typically uses a cheap Rapala knife but I think he would really benefit from a good quality steel knife. Looking for any recommendations (no matter the price). Also trying to find a good and easy knife sharpener other then a whetstone. (He’s kinda stubborn and any kind of easy knife sharpening system that doesn’t ruin the blade would be perfect). Thanks in advance!

Custom made fillet knife made by Head Hunter Specialties. This is a hand made Trout Master Fillet Knife constructed from 330c stainless steel and birdseye maple. The handle is accented with two nickel and one mosaic pin fasteners. Includes a custom made leather sheath molded to fit this specific knife.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.