Lake travel

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Park Rapids Area Lake travel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    wally07
    Participant

Hows the lake travel in the area (Nevis/Akeley)? Seems like theres been a lot of snow lately with more to come tomorrow and am wondering if the lakes are even navigable anymore. Thanks.

AKal
      Participant

In the Detroit Lakes area (40 miles east) you can still get around on the bigger lakes if you are an experienced winter off roader, the drifts are what will get you. I am not driving around in a pickup anymore, went and grabbed my snowmobile from storage for all my future fishing endeavors.

nofishfisherman
        Participant

I was on Lake Bemidji last weekend before any new snow fell and off road travel looked to be limited to snowmobiles only. There was a decent amount of slush in spots under the snow berms pushed up by the plows. People trying to get off the road to set up wheel houses seemed to have a fun time. Saw more than one get stuck.

AKal
          Participant

I would agree with your observation, had to get a new road out to my fish house, 4wd in a 3/4 ton truck to break a new road for the old plow truck, the crust on top of the snow is the real killer. with the 3-8 inches we are getting today and tomorrow it would be interesting to try and get around in a vehicle this weekend.

wally07
            Participant

Thanks for the feedback fellas. Just arrived here a couple hrs ago and can see that things will be tough especially with the latest round of snow. Considering a possible trip to Leech tomorrow instead of the usual lakes we like to hit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.