Lake Trout Setup?

Home Forums Species Specific Forums Trout & Salmon Lake Trout Setup?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    fishermanhunterguy
    Participant

Hey looking to get setup for Lake Trout through the ice. Any adivice on what type of rod/reel setup I should get and what type of lures/baits should I get? Also what lb test line? Thanks for any help!

If your not a liberal by 20 you have no heart. If your not a conservative by 30 you have no brain.
      Miningsupportsus
      Participant

All you need is tipups with the bigger spools with 100 yards of tipup line and 10 pound test leaders. I like carrying 5 tipups ready to go so when you catch a fish you have another one to put down the hole right away. For jigging rods any stiff rod over 2 feet works. If your jigging live bait a panfish rod works. Anything works for lakers really bait and jig wise when there in a feeding mode. 40 fow is where they seem to be comfortable in the winter. I’ve also caught them in muddy bays in 12 fow and over 100 foot of water when the barometric pressure is below 29.00. They are meaner than a northern if u ask me. They work in packs to wound a school of baitfish. They strip off over a 100 yards of line off a tipup in less than 30 seconds. It’s worth waiting 8 hours just to catch 1 little 5 pounder. They fight hard. Good luck Laker fishing.

Industry is the answer, not liberal brainwashing!!!
        Ret-ro

Any others have feedback on lake trout rods? Might be making a run to Whitefish Bay on LOTW in a couple weeks.

zooks
          Participant

Walleye gear will work but that would be at the light end of recommended. MH to H longer (36″+) rods, 2500 size reels and 8-12 lb fluoro is what I like, some guys use heavier line and/or braid. 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 oz jigs with white plastics (tubes, flukes, paddletails); any jigging rap, lipless crankbait or darter style lure; big spoons; airplane jigs. White, glow white, gold, silver, blue, green for colors, depending on forage base. Did I mention 3/8 oz white tube jig yet?

If you’re going to buy a new rod off the rack, the Frabill Gussy rod would fit the bill and won’t break the bank. That’s at least the size and power I’d start with. Good luck and have fun.

Increase my killing power, eh? Let's do it! - Homer J. Simpson
            popacrop
            Participant

Agree with Zooks, just got back from a lake trout trip. 3/8 oz. white tube jig on a 38″ Frabill ice hunter. I used 10 lb fluoro.

Ret-ro

Bumping this back up since we have a ice trout conversation going. What’s everyone using for rods for trout? There isn’t much for options commercially. Was fortunate to borrow an LTP by Tuned up Customs last year. Have a new 42″ on order with a casting set up and a 5500 Abu waiting to get mounted.

kabakonacrazy
                Participant

I have 2 Thorne Brothers 48″ custom HD rods just for Lakers. I also have a Diawa SS2600 reels. I spool them with 14lb ice braid and a 12 lb fluorocarbon leader. White tube jigs, & spoons work the best for me. I do experiment with different color tube jugs and someday they work depending on where you are fishing, shallow bays seem to be better with darker tubes, deep water white seems to work better. I really like the longer rod and we fish outside sitting on the snowmobile so longer is better and easier to set the hook especially when they come screaming up to hit the jig or spoon. Funnest fishing ever for me. We also used a lot of tip ups in the BWCA but now we mostly fish Whitefish bay so no live bait this no tip ups.

Oldstar
                  Participant

How do you rig your tip-ups for lakers?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.