Line type for various presentations

Home Forums Species Specific Forums Bass Line type for various presentations

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jramsber
    Participant

I am looking at spooling up my reels in prep for the open water season and thought I would throw this question out there. What line do you guys recommend for the setups below (mono, fleuro, braid, or co-poly)? I haven’t tried any co-poly yet but it sounds like YoZuri gets good reviews. If you have a certain brand that you especially like, that would be great as well. I have historically had some difficulty with fleuro for manageability with casting but haven’t tried very many different brands. Anyway, here are my current combos.

1. 6ft MF spinning rod. Mainly used for light plastics.

2. 6ft MF spinning rod. Small crank baits at short distances.

3. 6ft MXF casting rod. Small spinnerbaits

4. 7ft MHF casting rod. Larger spinnerbaits, swimbaits, jigs

5. 7ft MHM casting rod. Larger crankbaits.

I would be open to hearing if anyone has suggestions for switching around which setup is used for which presentation. Thanks in advance for all the help.

BDAWGINBASS
      Participant

I found this website several years ago! This is pretty general but a good read to start to give you an idea on how to get the most out of your presentation.

http://www.bassfishin.com/blog/fishing-line-guide/

Personally I use 100% Fluoro for most applications, only 1 rig with mono, and Big Sticks are spooled with med-heavy Braid. Also, all my spinning gear has 10-20lb braid with Fluoro Leaders.

Hope this helps! It really comes down to a personal preference but making the right line choice for the presentation can make for a great day on the water!

backup63
        Participant

I also have had a hard time with managing flouro, especially on casting reels. I have mostly switched over to using braid for everything with a longish(5 yard) flouro leader. I use the FG knot which is so tiny it doesn’t interfere with the guides at all.

jramsber
          Participant

BDAWG. What type of fleuro do you use? I have had difficulty with memory and castability but it has been a few years since I tried.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.