Mille Lacs Reports Labor Day weekend!

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Mille Lacs Lake Mille Lacs Reports Labor Day weekend!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    jpawelk77
    Participant

Lake Mille Lacs report for Sept 1st & Sept 2nd am Reel Time!!!
      Here is my weekend report from Mille Lacs lake. It is split into two different reports because that’s how I post it on my site. Thanks for all that read these!
      Mille Lacs Report For August 31st 2019
      The bite was pretty tough today I will admit. The weather conditions were changing bye the hour so there were good bite windows and bad ones. I tried a few different techniques but one out of them all shined above the rest……can you guess it? Of course its lead core! Mille Lacs is made for pulling lead in my opinion. The long reefs provide a good mile to two long runs and makes it a very good place to learn how to do this. Today I found 75% of my fish on gravel flats. Now I did run some mud flats and got a few but I didn’t see any bigger schools to key in on. These fish are very spread out. On the gravel I found most the walleye were sitting in the 21’-25’ range. As far as speeds I was changing from 2.1mph all the way up to 3mph depending on where I saw the fish in the water column and depth I was in. The lures changed a lot for myself, it seemed every time I put a new crank bait on it would get bit! The best producer however was a storm smash shad. This lure put the most fish topside, colors I found best were a fire tiger during the sunny periods and the switched to a shad color when the clouds would roll in. I also caught a few off of the Rapala BCX crank baits. Ive been very impressed with the durability of these lures! Other techniques that are worth noting were jigging raps on the shallower rock bars but a lot of these reefs were full of boats. I also found the better bite periods I had were when I was away from the crowds. I found a few gravel bars with no boats for a mile! Overall a decent day with it being the Labor Day weekend.
      Mille Lacs Report for Sept 1st & 2nd am.
      Well like the last report fishing continues to have its high and lows. A lot of this I feel has to do with the conditions changing these last few day. Periods of clouds faired a lot better than the blue bird skies that rolled in Labor Day around 10am. During these cloudy periods the fish were eating fairly well. Of course the technique is nothing new. Lead core lining! If you do not do this technique on Mille Lacs you should really adapt it to your arsenal. It’s a great way to put any lure in the strike zone of these fish at any depth. Speeds seemed to be pretty consistent around that 2.4mph up too 2.7mph. The storm smash shads continued to out preform all the others that we tried. The hot colors were a rainbow trout color and pink UV during the cloudy periods. When the sun came out I switched over to a Berkley flicker shad and that seemed tom do the job in the perch pattern. The bite definitely slowed once the clouds left and the fish seemed to push a lot further out. As far as structure goes I did run some gravel again with a few fish however the deeper rock edges seemed to hold more and better fish. To run these during the clouds I would run right over the tops in 21’-23’ and get the fish. Once the Sun came out they pushed further off the structure into that 28’-30’ range and were very tough to get to bite. Overall clients got what they wanted with a mix of smallmouth and walleyes around the 5 walleyes for every smallmouth. Did come across a few decent 4 lb fish with most of them came trolling across the tops of the rocks as well. Im going to try to do one more report while I’m up here for the pm today and am tomorrow before I have to head back to the metro so stay following if you fish Mille Lacs! Thanks to all who like and share my posts its a blessing I have you here to help me live this dream out! Thanks to all who take the time to read these and I hope it helps point you in the right direction!

Owner/ Fishing Guide Reel Monsters Guide Service
      http://www.reelmonstersguideser.com
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.