Muskies in the Rum

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Rum River Muskies in the Rum

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lark-o
    Participant

Has anyone physically seen or caught a muskie in the rum above the anoka dam? I know theres a Dam on Lake onamia and another small one in Milaca. A conversation has insued amongst my friends on whether or not there is any kind of population of muskies in the river.

Lawman
      Participant

Buddy of mine here at work says that he fishe there on occasion and has never seen or heard about muskies in that location.

Everyone makes fun of the redneck until the Zombie Apocalypse
        outdoors247
        Participant

I would say it’s possible but I have never seen one in the Anoka area. I have seen some in the spring by the Buck Moore Dam in Kathio State Park. So they do migrate down the river through Lake Ogechie. The Buck Moore has water moving over of it in the spring and wet times during the summer. The dam in Onamia has been rebuilt to a more fish friendly dam which allows fish passage. With all of this it’s definitely possible for fish to migrate downstream.

I would say if they are there, it’s a small population at best.

Loopy
          Participant

With Mille Lacs being its main source for water I would guess there would have to be some on the northern end of the Rum, I think once you start to get in the mid sections the waters are not the correct for them to thrive.
            And on the south end again this dumps into the Mississippi so i would have to beleive they also swim up to the the Anoka dam but can’t see them making any further north then this area. Btw, there is really good small mouth around the Anoka dam and even up byt the railroad trussel byt the auto recycle place.

Flyrod
            Participant

They are in the Rum. I have fished it for many years and the last 5 or so I usually catch a few. Nothing over 3 #s though. It’s a blast on the flyrod .Mostly south of Onamia.

smurph
              Participant

I know this is a little late but I thought I would share this. I live on the Rum near Ramsey and one day I was fishing off of my dock when a little up stream there was splashing from a white sucker probably about 14 inches jumping around with what looked like a big torpedo (muskie/pike) chasing it. Then the sucker threw itself on shore and when it flopped back in the water there was no other commotion.

fishing is fishing, no matter the species.
                smurph
                Participant

Plus like said earlier it flows into the Mississippi and out of Mille Lacs. I know the Anoka Dam is there but i bet some had to be in the river before that was built and they probably would have spawned then too.

fishing is fishing, no matter the species.
                  imabeast1221
                  Participant

I live in milaca and fish the rum quite regularly the fishing has not been the same since the took the dam out here. all ive caught all year is a few nice walleye. but anyways, i was talking to guy who was fishing the rum at a park in milaca. some kids the day before told him about a huge northern. so the next day he went there with a dare devil 7 casts in hooks a huge fish gets it near shore and has no net but some his kids brought like a butterfly net, so he netted the head and scooped it up and it turned out to be a 55 inch muskie he is having the fish mounted.

Petros
                    Participant

I actually caught one last year, maybe 2 lbs but definitely a muskie, I live on the rum and that’s the first one I’ve seen & caught.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.