New rod and reel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    IxRIcEMan
    Participant

So last friday i purchased a new fishing rod. A Fenwick HMX 7’0 medium light was the rod. At 79.99 its not the cheapest rod in the world but its not a 400.00 st croix either. I tried it out at Scheels a couple of weeks ago. I really liked the sensitive tip and the moderate backbone. The grip to the rod is also nice. So I decided to purchase the rod. however i did so from Tacklewarehouse.com

The rod should be here friday. the goal is to have a rod that is a multispecies rod, walleye, trout, maybe some salmon. So I am now in pursuit of a reel to go on the new buy.

I was looking at the Quantum Smoke. Only because it appears to be a decent reel. but i dont want to over spend for a reel so i have been looking at the okuma epixor XT. the price between the two is 69.99 for the okuma and 169.99 for the smoke. so after some reviews i am basically sold on the okuma just wondering if anyone out there in lakestate land has either or both and what you think of them. If anyone else has any ideas on similarly priced reels please feel free to put your 2 cents in.

Ice fishing is heaven on Earth!!!
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      rod-man
      Participant

Love every Okuma reel I have ever had!

be safe and share the water
        <*)}}}}}><~~~~~
        IxRIcEMan
        Participant

i did end up purchasing the okuma epixir 30 had the largest line capacity over some of the other okumas that i had been looking at. should be here tomorrow and I am looking forward to putting the combo together on friday once the rod arrives. then the next topic is braid or mono.

Honestly i am not a huge fan of braid. particularly in colder conditions. and i dont really like mono because you have to take care of it and spool off like 40 feet everytime you go fishing to get fresher line….

CaptainCoors
          Participant

I have had an Okuma Epixor for about 13 years. I also run the Okuma Avengers, all of which are the bait feeder models. very nice for when you are rigging and need to net a fish for someone or are just tired of holding the rod. Flip open the bait feeder and you now have a dual drag system. it’s set light so weeds or bites are easily detected. turn the reel or shut the switch and your front drag takes over.

IxRIcEMan
            Participant

was kinda wondering what the bait feeder was all about.

IxRIcEMan
              Participant

so i received the okuma epixor yesterday. I unpackaged it and was immediately really impressed with the overall quality of the reel. very very smooth. overall finish is very nice. glitter finish even. lol. well the bail mechanism is very firm and the reel has absolutely no slack what so ever. anxiously awaitng the rod to come today so i can complete the combo and put some line on it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.