New to Rainy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Redeyesdixie
    Participant

NEW TO RAINY
      Headed up to rainy with 4 buddies and 2 boats on Wednesday morning. We will be staying 4 nights in Lost Bay, can’t wait. None of us have ever been to Rainy so new to all of us. We will be targeting mostly walleyes but smallies and crappies are definitely not off the menu. Wondering what we should expect as far as bugs. Are mosquitoes a problem up there while camping? Also have there been any bug hatches yet with this warmer weather? Anybody fish with salted shinners up there? I salted about a gallon this spring and don’t know if it pays to bring them. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I will give a full report when we get back. Thanks

Redeyesdixie
      Participant

Also wondering if bears are really a problem? The campsite has a bear locker and we will use it but don’t know if we will be able to get everything in it. Thanks for any help you can give us.

Janderson
        Participant

Just returned from the area…mosquitoes will be there at night. There have definitely been some bug hatches at this point. I’m not sure about the shiners. We used fat heads. Bears won’t be a problem as long as nothing is left out! If your in VNP then you have to put your food, garbage and anything else that would attract bears into the boxes.

2017 Alumacraft Competitor 175 CS
          2017 Yamaha F115
          2015 Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 70lb. 60" w/ I-pilot Link
          Humminbird 899ci HD SI
          V4 Lakemaster MN
          V4 Lakemaster WI
          BrianHoffies
          Participant

Redeyesdixie wrote:
            Also wondering if bears are really a problem? The campsite has a bear locker and we will use it but don’t know if we will be able to get everything in it. Thanks for any help you can give us.

If you can’t fit it all leave it home. Those lockers aren’t a suggestion box, they are there to protect you from Bears looking for something to eat and mischief.

chris63
            Participant

If you have too much stuff you can always suspend in a tree with a rope(S).Typically if there are campsites that Bears want to frequent the park service can and will shut down those sites.I have seen them be shut down because of nesting birds as well.I would use leeches instead of minnows but that is personal preference.Good luck on Rainy……don’t forget rain gear and bug dope!!!!!Xtra tarp or two come in handy to hang over eating/sitting area!!!!!!c63

Redeyesdixie
              Participant

We will have leeches and crawlers with. We are also bringing a screen tent and have a tarp on the list too. Thanks for the info guys.

chris63
                Participant

+1 on the screen tent!c63

Redeyesdixie
                  Participant

We were up 14-18. Kind of tough fishing for us. New to the lake and a lot to learn. We did catch a few fish casting plastics shallow but most fish came on leechs rigging. Best spots were on the edge of deeper holes 29-31 ft. in current areas. Picked up a few on main lake rock reefs also. We did have one good night in 19ft on a rock point pulling slow death crawlers until another small front moved in and shut em down. I don’t think the storms earlier in the helped us but you can’t do much about that. All in all it was a good trip. We ate a couple meals of fresh fish and brought a few home. Already planning next years trip.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.