Oil change on generators?

Home Forums General Forums The Garage and DIY Oil change on generators?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    orandausa

How often do you change oil in your generators this time of year?

I finally pulled the trigger and got a Honda EU2000i + external tank. I love it and want it to out last me…

I am running Amsoil in it.

I had just changed oil in it. Ran it for 48 or so hours last weekend. I think the manual says change every 100 hours. So I am half way there.

One one hand it is only 12 oz. of oil, but it is full synthetic and not dirty.

What do you guys do?

Yes, Yes that is a 39" Pike.
      chris63
      Participant

DO NOT use synthetic oil in Honda especially in winter cold temps.Call honda for recommendations.I use 5w30.

chris63
        Participant

Had issues last year when in/up at Canadian border cold temps (around neg 30)gave oil light when res was full.Changed back to conventional no problems since.Do yourself a favor and bring a spare air filter to change out when moist or snowy conditions cause the engine to run rich. Clean air causes much better fuel economy and runs much better in eco mode!Love that eco switch saves big time fuel!I keep my 2000 up off the ice in a small utility trailer.Put a removable roof on for Dish Dome and extended run fuel tank.Change oil after long weekend.c63

Joehere
          Participant

Change of oil every 100 hrs or so and that Honda will run for 2 lifetimes. My newest champion says synthetic not needed but still 100 hrs change cycles with or without. My main concern is letting it run and warm the armature power side a bit before use in the cold weather.

Lookin4Slabs
            Participant

I have the Honda eu2000i and always use the recommended Honda oil and change it about three times a season. I’ve had some random fuel issues with it as I’ve posted last season were it surges out of no where, then dies and will only run on half choke then dies again then will start and run with no choke (usually when I drain the bowl on the carb). Some weekends it will run all weekend just fine others like last weekend it died at about 3am Sunday. I’ve seen videos and posts where if it’s surging it’s your pilot jet (cleaned it), your carb is varnished, cleaned it my self, had moon motorsports go through it 3 times( tank cleaned/carb cleaned), had a boat mechanic go through it twice, still same issue. If anyone has any ideas or interested in it I’m looking to get rid of it for cheap. I’ve gone through endless options and I’ve got to the point where I’m buying a new eu2200i.

Sorry to steal your post orandausa I’m just reflecting my own personal expierience, and bought a Honda (had it for about 9 years) because I’ve always owned Honda (dirtbikes, atvs, generators etc) and they last forever but I obviously got a lemon

orandausa

chris63 wrote:
                DO NOT use synthetic oil in Honda especially in winter cold temps.Call honda for recommendations.I use 5w30.

Why not synthetics?

Yes, Yes that is a 39" Pike.
                chris63
                Participant

Because Honda recommends not to . Call them and ask them.I have a eu2000 that acted up while using synthetic oil.The oil sensor light kept illuminating and would cause the engine to stop.Switched back to Honda conventional with no problems.Maybe you’ll have better luck with synthetics.Again the Honda dealer recommends conventional oil.

smackem33
                  Participant

No problem running synthetic in mine, maybe Honda says that to sell there oil because they don’t offer synthetic………

Your down! Your down!!! Just kidding
                    chris63
                    Participant

Nope they didn’t say it has to be Honda just not synthetic.run what you want.

Darrell68
                      Participant

No sh*t, why not just follow the manufacturers recommended suggestions! Of course they’re going to sway you to their oil, but what’s the important part is to use 5w/20 or whatever they recommend. Just don’t use synthetic, sounds like maybe an extreme cold weather condition thing,(hell I don’t know). Otherwise if you don’t like using conventional oil, just get a different unit.

The Best Catch of my life was Theresa!

Oldstar
                        Participant

Last time my Honda was in the mechanic and dealer said to run 5W 30 in the winter. 10w 30 in the summer.

MarkBruzek
                          Participant

Lookin4Slabs wrote:
                            I have the Honda eu2000i and always use the recommended Honda oil and change it about three times a season. I’ve had some random fuel issues with it as I’ve posted last season were it surges out of no where, then dies and will only run on half choke then dies again then will start and run with no choke (usually when I drain the bowl on the carb). Some weekends it will run all weekend just fine others like last weekend it died at about 3am Sunday. I’ve seen videos and posts where if it’s surging it’s your pilot jet (cleaned it), your carb is varnished, cleaned it my self, had moon motorsports go through it 3 times( tank cleaned/carb cleaned), had a boat mechanic go through it twice, still same issue. If anyone has any ideas or interested in it I’m looking to get rid of it for cheap. I’ve gone through endless options and I’ve got to the point where I’m buying a new eu2200i.

Sorry to steal your post orandausa I’m just reflecting my own personal expierience, and bought a Honda (had it for about 9 years) because I’ve always owned Honda (dirtbikes, atvs, generators etc) and they last forever but I obviously got a lemon

I would be willing to bet you have a California model… Same as me, wife bought it for me so I could not return it.
                            The Cali model has a leaned out jet setting to meet emissions. Meaning it does not like sub-zero temps, it will run well till the temp dips and then it starts to hunt (surge) as the governor is kicking in as it starts to stumble. Choking it slightly will make this surging stop.

The factory sets this screw 1 7/8 out and it should be set 2.5 turns out for best results.
                            part number 16016-ZH7-W01 I believe.
                            The down side it that the factory puts a limiter cap on it so you can only unscrew it 1/4 turn. you have to break this screw off and then extract it in order to change it. If you have a Dremel I think you could grind off the limiter and then just adjust it but I did not have one when I did this so I had to break and replace.

Pro Staff for myself...
                            MarkBruzek
                            Participant

I installed a TinyTach on mine to monitor hours.
                              Very easy to install, just have to wrap a wire around the plug wire then fasten the tach anywhere you want.

Pro Staff for myself...
                              Noreaster
                              Participant

I built, and now run our cabin off a Honda 3500. I change the oil every other year or so. It always starts no matter the cold going back to 2000 when I purchased it.

A friend up there is a builder and works on many off grid locations and uses his 3500 Honda a lot. He told me a few years ago he had only changed the oil twice. His is older than mine. I would say that Honda generators are very forgiving and reliable machines.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.