Opener 2015

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Rum River Opener 2015

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mnfishermn
    Participant

I’m thinking with the river down, walleyes might be easier to find on opener. What do others think?

springbobber
      Participant

Thats where I”ll be this year. Anyone have any tip on what works best on the rum. gonna be fishin around the Isanti area

Reinhard
        Participant

I haven’t fished the Rum much. However when I fish the St. Louis River near Duluth around opener we use a crawler harness. I think drifting a minnow under a bobber would work well there also. Jig and minnow depending on the snags on the bottom. I like using a jig head under the bobber instead of a hook. Put the minnow on through the lips and you have a natural drift instead of putting the hook through the back. good luck.

http://www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com

Die young as old as possible.

Mnfishermn
          Participant

I think a jig and minnow combo works good this time of year though I’ve had luck with jig and crawler too. Rum should be good with the lower water level.

Anonymous

Jig and minnow is always slamming on the rivers…this year its gonna b stress though we didn’t have high enough water to wash away the old moss off of the rocks like a “normal” spring…I have hit a smaller river for the last 23 years right at midnight… I might sit this one out and head to the lake on Saturday evening or after dark…almost brings a tear to my eye

Mnfishermn
              Participant

I was a little disappointed on the catching on the Rum Saturday. Out for 5 hours and only caught one small northern. Hit many holes and trolled along deeper areas. Nothing. Where are they? Guess I’ll try later in the day another time. Used jigs and minnows and night crawlers and rapalas. Tried casting some spoons for northern. The fishing part was great though. It was a great morning and saw many different kinds of birds and turtles and a sneaky Mink. Very peacefull and had that section of the river pretty much to ourselves. Beats fighting the crowds on other area lakes.

springbobber
                Participant

fished sat. morning, Ended up with 6 eyes,4pike and one smallmouth about 18” fished from about7-2

Mnfishermn
                  Participant

Well, you did well Springbobber. I need to expand my territory a bit and try closer to Isanti.

springbobber
                    Participant

That was my first time fishing the rum from a boat. Definatly different and looking forward to giving it another try once the water goes down a bit from all the rain we”ve had lately

Anonymous

Get em while the water is high at least for the walleyes once the water drops its gonna warm extremely fast making it extremely tough to catch the eyes but will get better for smallies and pike

Anonymous

Your going to find them extremely close to shore or near flooded areas…when the rivers come up they tend to like the shallow current seems… And so do the minnows…hard to beat flipping a jig and twister

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.