Opener Traditions

Home Forums Minnesota Fishing Forums Open Water Talk Opener Traditions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Keymaster

Let’s hear some of your opener traditions.

Let's Talk Fishing!

Paul - http://www.LakeStateFishing.com

RLS
      Participant

When I lived in the cities I would never fish opening day if possible. I would take a day of vacation(Monday) and travel up north Sunday. I would come home Monday thus missing the traffic and crowed lakes.

Now that I live up north I can pick when and ware I fish during the week when the lakes are less crowded.

To belittle is to be little
        Krasmussen29
        Participant

Headed up to the cabin for a couple days to fish Lake of the Woods / Rainy River. This will be the 5th year now that I have gone up there for the opener. Good luck to all who hit the water this weekend and safe travels wherever you’re headed!

Bandersnatch
          Participant

Before the World Changed and us Old Farts were the Youngsters ….. (early 1960s)

The Mille Lac Attack fishing crew would meet in Spring Lake Park at 4AM

Two Fathers,Two Sons, a Great Uncle, and a Close Friend of the adults.

The Caravan would then make its way up Highway 65 to The Sportsman;s Cafe in Mora, where it would be Eggs, Toast, and Hash-browns all around. “Could you fill these Thermos for us please Dear?”

By the time breakfast and Coffee was done, Jerry’s Bait right next door would be opening up. Bait secured, it was back on the road up 65 to the 27 turn off into Isle. Us kids in the back seat would be rubber necking trying to see who would spot the red lights on the Antennae array that for us marked “We’re close!!!” Into Isle and a short jog to the right and we were pulling into “Foreman’s Famous Spot”  Foreman’s used to sit on the lakeside of the road, right where the little boat harbor is just before you hit the sprawling Johnson’s Portside.

Pulling into the lot by the small boat harbor, everyone would be stoked for what was a damned near Military Operation to begin. Two 17′ Ceder strip boats had been reserved since the last season. Four Johnson Five Horse motors, two to a boat, were out of trunks and backs of station wagons and installed. Rods, tackle boxes, and bait were arranged in the boats, with the inevitable “Dammit Keith!!! You better not forget the NET THIS TIME!!” (the bane of my younger 10 year old self to have done so one trip) Boats outfitted it was time to put on the rain gear, cuz you were not getting out to Hennepin Island dry in those Ceder strips…..not ever.

If the wind was out of the North West, it could be exciting just getting out of the mini-harbor. Both five horse motors roaring in the breaking day from the back of the harbor to build up enough impetus to fight their way through the waves coming in the narrow channel.

Then it was the long slog out to Hennepin whether it was blowing or flat, two 5 hp are only gone to push that wooden tub so fast. but damn did they every Troll Down nice.

The inevitable guesstimates of how the bite would be would “almost” keep us kids occupied having those oh so important Adult Conversations on the way out.

Slip sinker rigs would be tuned to the wave and wind action “You gotta keep’m on the bottom Keith! Add one more!” Upon arrival the Fatheads would be chosen with care, the lines would be let down, and the trolling for Walleye would finally begin……………….

Back then with this crew, it was Feed The Family Fishing. Dinks would be a release, and anything else went on the stringer. Lunch was in the lunch sac that Mom made the night before, and was dipped into at need. The day wasn’t done until the stringers were full with limits, or the sun heading down. Had to be back by sunset, as there were no navigation lights on the old wooden workhorses. Then the entire process would reverse itself with a Good Tired at the end of it all.

Thanks for tickling a memory!!

Keith

RLS
            Participant

I remember the traffic on HWY 169 and the traffic back up at Milaca and Princeton.

I believe the towns are by pasted and are four lane now.

To belittle is to be little
            Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.