Ottertail Ice Report

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Detroit Lakes Area Ottertail Ice Report

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    bowhuntermitch
    Participant

Fished Ottertail Friday evening last week. Walked out from the Pelican bay access and fished the first break on a sharp drop off. I was in 17′ of water in one hole and about 19′ in the other. I had small perch and bait fish swimming through all day. Seemed like when the baitfish showed up, the walleyes were not too far behind chasing them. There was 8-10″ of ice depending on the spot. A group of guys were dragging their small permanents out with ATVs & SxS’. They didn’t seem to have any issues. There were a couple small pressure ridges about a 1/4 mile out from the access. I could see them being an issue if they get any bigger as we gain ice. Carefully checking them, it seemed they were fully healed with no less than 7-8″ on both sides of the ridges where I checked.

The camera showed me a few walleyes, and most of the walleyes I saw were very aggressive and got them to bite. Usually I have the opposite problem on Ottertail. See lots of fish, but have issues getting them to commit. Ended up taking 3 home for supper for the wife and I. Lost a couple at the hole (I must be rusty) and threw a couple more back. It’s good to be back on the ice! 

Ret-ro

Thanks for sharing the detailed report!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.