Predator Hunters Poll

Home Forums Hunting Forums Trapping & Varmits Predator Hunters Poll

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    CaughtABuzz
    Participant

The last few years I have really got into predator hunting as I started to learn what and how many different predators work our hunting land, to start I read as many articles and forum’s I could.,Got the gear I needed and gave a it a go….first year was challenging and there were many things I learned through error and things not working. Unfortunately I dont get too many wknds to get out so each trip I do, I always try to get as much info out of it as I can. This season things started to click and I was able to have a couple successful trips, I probably even had my single best hunting day and an experience I will never forget (Triple Bobcat on opening morning). As we wind down on another season I am curious how others did as well as any additional information I can get?

So let’s hear it,…..and definitely see it, get those pics of fur on the ground up….Just kidding: this site is way to unstable to load pics and will just bog down the feedback which is a bummer

How was the season compared to others?
      What predators Do you Target- in order of species
      Weapon of Choice, Ammo of choice:
      Calls: Electronic, Hand Calls
      General location/s, Land style:
      Accessories:
      Better, best Times/Dates:
      Questions for others:

For me it would be

Even though I had more success, I only connected on 2 trips out of 6 which I know is not bad in the world of predator huting. However I felt like the other times I didnt connect and saw nothing to boot were some really good days and was shocked nothing came in that I could see? I heard the mouse/vole population was high this year but cant say they were a credible source?

Bobcat, Yotes for our deer population, I really would like to get a few fox and cross them off bucket list
      .22-250 Ruger….Hornady Vmax 55grain
      Have a foxpro- stopped working after a couple trips…not too impressed with them as have seen friends go out as well
      Started hand calls this year and called in my first yote that way- Nice big male in Pic below
      Primarily Wadena county, heavy timber land, flat with one creek ditch through property
      Mojo Critter- Usually run this with calls, would like to buy another top piece to it and modify the end for a bird looking critter next season
      Morning has been best for me the last 2 seasons but the Male I got this season was my first sunset dog

Question: When i have the entire day to work our land which is roughly 700 acres, I would slowly into the wind calling our open fields which are usually 500-1000 yards apart….I have yet to have any success outside of the sunrise and sunset times. am I wasting time and also educating the dogs by calling mid day in some of the fields(tend to leave what I think are the best)

There’s enough public and potlatch that i can call mid day to leave mine rest? I call my land about 5-6 times per year, some of which is a couple quick sets and a few all day hunts?

Also Night Hunting MN, have never done but know odds are much better to connect at night….any help getting started there?

Cant wait to hear back

Joehere
      Participant

Never targeted bobcats or “yotes” but you sure make it sound like a good time,I walk my dog 3-5 miles per day and have yotes literally 20′ out my front door at times. The time they are active is definitely btwn sunset to around sunrise for the most part but occasionally do see them during the day. I don’t know if road kill or scents are legal but I’d try it, if it is. At least during the day. They aren’t no different to hunt than anything else once you get the hang of it. I got a couple of good spots to hunt for them away from town,might try it. I’ve always thought about taking a bobcat ,just thought they always ran dogs for um. Anyway sounds like your CRANKED! Go for it! Good luck

bottlebass
        Participant

I just recently acquired some hunting land and got a camera up on it. About the 10th picture was of a yote jogging the game trail. I’d be interested in learning how to hunt coyotes. I do hunt because it is fun, but hunting for me is always for food also. I never waste the animals I hunt so haven’t really considered predator hunting before. But according to everyone I’ve talked to keeping the coyote population down around my land will help the deer and bird populations so it’s something I’d maybe take up.

Do you skin the yotes out or what do you do with them if you are hunting them just to rid them of your land? A skin isn’t much use for me so not sure what I’d do besides just bury any I shot. Does the DNR not consider that wasting?

I do remember reading the story you posted about your triple bobcat day, gave me the chills it was so exciting to read! Do bobcats really affect deer populations though? I watched one trot by my deer stand this fall, it was very cool to see.

CaughtABuzz
          Participant

Where about is your land bottlebass?….I am the same with hunting, I will always cook and use as much of the game that I can. I know a local fur trader who skins them out for $6-8 a piece for my yotes and bobcats. Fur prices are in the basement and I just send them into get to get tanned. Will hang them around the hunting lodge or at the lake cabin

My season will wind down turkey wknd, i’ll be getting others on birds and using the fawn call for yotes looking for the recent drops. I dont think bobcats are to much of a predator for deer but again when there dropping fawns they can easily take one

bottlebass
            Participant

My land is near Mora.

Tanning the hides and hanging them is a good idea. Where do you have them tanned?

How close are you getting the coyotes in with the calls? Are you just back up against a tree or sitting in a blind/stand?

CaughtABuzz
              Participant

bottlebass wrote:
                My land is near Mora.

Tanning the hides and hanging them is a good idea. Where do you have them tanned?

How close are you getting the coyotes in with the calls? Are you just back up against a tree or sitting in a blind/stand?

Next winter if there is a day you want to get a sit in let me know?…i’m in the cities for work but go north almost every wknd

Eikhoff Fur Trader- close to Wadena, he skins and get’s rid of the yotes….bobcats i had to turn carcass into DNR for study

I sit on the edge with back to a tree and shooting sticks on the ground. the land I hunt is pretty thick with woods, swamps, brush, etc but we have a lot of open fields that can range from 50-250 yds of open field. Yotes tend to hang up at some point and usually get them at 50-100 out. Bobcats came in 15 yds away and right to the cal. Also run a mojo critter to keep there eyes off me

bottlebass
                Participant

How far north is your land? I’d definitely be interested in going out with someone more experienced than me. Best way to learn hands down.

snow
                  Participant

Buzz,been using fox pro going on 20years,my 1st one had issues after 10 years or so but it went through alot,I called fox pro and sent my unit in,they offered me an updated unit with dual speakers and plugins for external speakers at no charge,extremely happy with customer service and zero isssues to date,usually hunt nights,mating season runnin and gunin works for me,also do mid winter stands in sodak and nebraska while on pheasant hunting trips,again night hunts..223 55gr for dogs that have been hunted or pushed alot,otherwise in the middle of nowhere 12ga with #4 buck works.

CaughtABuzz
                    Participant

snow wrote:
                      Buzz,been using fox pro going on 20years,my 1st one had issues after 10 years or so but it went through alot,I called fox pro and sent my unit in,they offered me an updated unit with dual speakers and plugins for external speakers at no charge,extremely happy with customer service and zero isssues to date,usually hunt nights,mating season runnin and gunin works for me,also do mid winter stands in sodak and nebraska while on pheasant hunting trips,again night hunts..223 55gr for dogs that have been hunted or pushed alot,otherwise in the middle of nowhere 12ga with #4 buck works.

Good to know Snow, I still have original box, receipt, and the screen protector on the remote is still on to show how little use I got out of it…..I just packed it up to send it in so it sounds like a good chance they’ll work with me

I wish we could rifle hunt MN over night…..would make things much easier but we just have the limited night season with shotgun only

adicited2outdoors
                      Participant

Buzz, your getting $6-8 for your coyotes? I think your getting taken on them.. I trap and skin all my coyotes and average $60-70 the last couple years. Coyote price are doing good right now..Other animal are definitely down.

Coyote killer....
                        CaughtABuzz
                        Participant

adicited2outdoors wrote:
                          Buzz, your getting $6-8 for your coyotes? I think your getting taken on them.. I trap and skin all my coyotes and average $60-70 the last couple years. Coyote price are doing good right now..Other animal are definitely down.

No I get them skinned and disposed for $6-8….bobcats he did for $6 and $8 for the yotes and he does immaculate work.

What area do you trap addicted2outdoors?

adicited2outdoors
                          Participant

Buzz. I trap in south west Minnesota. Here in the farm land country. This past season is the best for coyotes that I’ve had. I’m really getting the hang of how to catch coyotes. It’s an addiction now! Once you get in the triple digits for killing it’s a hell of accomplish.

Coyote killer....
                            snow
                            Participant

Have a buddy that had a hellofa season last year,he sent me his finale tally~

Attachments:
                              You must be logged in to view attached files.
                              CaughtABuzz
                              Participant

adicited2outdoors wrote:
                                Buzz. I trap in south west Minnesota. Here in the farm land country. This past season is the best for coyotes that I’ve had. I’m really getting the hang of how to catch coyotes. It’s an addiction now! Once you get in the triple digits for killing it’s a hell of accomplish.

Oh man I believe you, congrats on your best season…..due to time and location and I haven’t trapped, also would have no clue where to start. With the wknds I get I have really got into hunting them. Also was able to have my best season, even if I get higher #’s in the future that triple bobcat was once in a lifetime hunt!

Snow- That pic is incredible….those fox a huge and one animal I would love to get

Joehere
                                Participant

Final tally,,,,WOW,,,That ROCKS! Thanks for sharing that pic.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.