River through the ice help..

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Mississippi North River through the ice help..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    riverrat669
    Participant

Where do walleyes go in the winter on the main river. Not in the pools. Has anyone ever fished the main river through the ice?

the green hornet strikes again
      watisituya
      Participant

I do all the time, In my section the bite is usually good during the day, mornings best. After dark it has been really slow this year. I use small spoons, Tungsten jigs with a minnow, I also do well shallow 6′ and under with tip ups (I set them up then wait on shore so i do not spook the fish)

riverrat669
        Participant

And that’s on the main part of the river where there is current? Not in one of the pools?

watisituya
          Participant

Rod and reel for me would be usually below a dam ice permitting, tip ups along the bank of the main channel. Where i am located you really cant get that far out in the main channel, it is wide open. I know where a few shallow rock piles are surrounded by sand from low water periods and that is where i place my tip ups.

I dont know where you are fishing but if you have any dams by you with slack water and you are certain the ice below is safe, id try there, that is usually the deepest hole in a given area….

Alot of people dont realize that river ice below a dam can freeze and become safe for walking before most of the lakes in the same area… Water that is shallow and moving changes temps faster. With that being said river ice can change in a day so ALWAYS check with a spud and stay AWAY from the spillway.

riverrat669
            Participant

We live north of aitkin on the river and have drilled piles of holes in our summer spots, but never mark anything… River freezes completely up here so you can fish just about anywhere.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.