Rod & Lure Question

Home Forums Species Specific Forums Musky & Pike Rod & Lure Question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    moose-hunter
    Participant

I picked up a MINT “new-to-me” musky set up today for less than a song and dance at an estate sale. If this combo has been used at all I’d be very surprised! The cork handle is squeaky clean. The reel may have a very, very little bit of rod locker rash. And the rod blank itself is spotless!

– The Rod: St. Croix Avid AM76MHF (7’6″ Med Heavy, Fast action). Basically has the stiffness of a pool cue.

– The reel: Shimano Calcutta 400B filled with what appears to be loaded with a heavy weight Power Pro.

Which presentation would this combo be best suited for? Cranks? Bucktails? Little baby ducks? I’m a musky novice but couldn’t resist the gear at this price…

Lastly… They threw in the one and only lure on the table…

No markings on it anywhere. Kind of looks like a biat from Cisco Kid lures but has a third treble mid body. Any ideas as to what this lil’ beasty is?

moose-hunter
      Participant

Anyone?

moose-hunter
        Participant

So all the musky folks on LSF are “heads down” in a hole in the ice??!! Come on… A little help here?

HeviShot
          Participant

Would make a perfect combo for jerkbaits and would work for bucktails as well however most of us prefer at least an 8ft rod for blades. The Avid musky rod was discontinued about 5 years ago and was one of my favorites. Nice purchase.

2016 LSF Walleye Opener Champion-Mille Lacs
            JTSCHRO
            Participant

The rod should be fairly versatile. What’s the gear ratio on the Calcutta?

If it is the 4.7:1 or 5.0:1 , it would work well for pulling bigger bucktails.

The 6.0:1 would be better suited for burning smaller bucktails, topwater, or jerkbaits.

Sorry can’t help you on the bait…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.