Scope for .17 Savage

Home Forums Hunting Forums Guns & Ammo Scope for .17 Savage

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    orandausa

My wife inherited a Savage .17 rifle. It has the iron sights. We would like to put a scope on it. Obviously there is a huge range in $$ for scopes. Most likely the only thing we will use it for is at the range.

Any recommendations for a scope? The max distance at the range is 200 yards.

Even FF had $20 – $300.

TIA

Yes, Yes that is a 39" Pike.
      sundie23
      Participant

.17 HMR I would assume? I have a cheap barska on mine. Think it even came on the gun? But have had no problem with it for the little I use it. Fun little gun and very accurate with no wind

orandausa

Yes .17 HMR.

HeviShot
          Participant

I have a NIB Vortex Diamondback 2-7×35 rimfire scope I would sell you. Very nice scope, with great glass. I have one on a 22 mag. $160 shipped
            https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-diamondback-2-7×35-rimfire-vplex-moa-riflescope.html

2016 LSF Walleye Opener Champion-Mille Lacs
            bentpole
            Participant

I would highly recommend the Cabelas covenant tactical. The Horus reticle on that scope is awesome. you will be able to work a 17HMR out to 300 yards with that scope without adjustments (clicks). it comes in FFP and SFP.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/optics/riflescopes/pc/104791680/c/104752080/sc/104535180/cabelas-tactical-ffp-riflescopes/2339073.uts?slotId=9

My love for the Vikings is only rivaled by my hatred for the packers and their famous "11 world championships"
              orandausa

So now that I have hands on the gun it is actually a Marlin XT-17. About a $250 gun.

It will mainly be a range gun but… I may also have a son moving to Brookings SD.. And he has a hook up for Prairie Dog hunting.

So now there is a possibility that 200 yrds won’t be the max range we will shoot. That 300 yards may be the goal.

The Vortex is a great deal but at 2-7 is that going to work for 300 yards?

Then the Cabelas one is $300. More than the gun itself.

hmmmm.

bentpole
                Participant

the tricky part of shooting a .17HMR 200-300 yards is the significant drift and drop you will get with such a small projectile. you will need a scope with enough internal adjustments to reach out to that range.

My love for the Vikings is only rivaled by my hatred for the packers and their famous "11 world championships"
                  orandausa

Bentpole, ya that what also discussed. My son’s solution was for me to buy an AR. lol I still call them M16 even though there is no auto. But that is what I learned to shot on.

More to think about.

Thanks for all the advice and offers. Still thinking.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.