Shotgun recommendations?

Home Forums Hunting Forums Upland Game & Fowl Shotgun recommendations?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    EricParrott
    Participant

I’m looking at getting a new semi-auto shotgun this year. Looking at spending $1700 or less though. Any thoughts or recommendations? The few I’ve looked at (online only) are the Browning A5, Browning Maxus, Benelli Super Vinci and the Benelli M2. It’s been years since I’ve had a good gun that will function flawlessly through all load sizes, in all weather conditions. Want a gun that is easy to clean that has an action smooth as silk.

So any help would be appreciated!

Sunrise and sunset - if you see them both, it's been a good day!
      WANNABEINOTC
      Participant

That’s a large budget. Why not just go SBE III?
        Too bad, Cabela’s just had their 5% off guns/ammo coupon; that would have covered most of the taxes.

I picked up a SBE II 25th Anniversary Edition earlier this year that I have not shot yet so I can’t comment on it yet. But the reputation sold me, and it fits me well (at least the sights line up every time I shoulder it).
        I’ve been shooting a Browning Gold 3.5 for the last 10-12 years that I liked, but quit ejecting 3.5″ shells until I replaced some parts last year. It works fine too; that piston and other internals can get pretty carboned up though.

Your list seems solid, you’ll probably have to hit a Scheels or Cabela’s and see which one fits best.

MingLee
        Participant

I have had a 12 gauge m2 for about 14 years now. It has always fired flawlessly

Bandersnatch
          Participant

Depends on what you want to use it for Eric?

For Grouse and Pheasant, I have not ever had a smoother operating shotgun than my Remington 1100 LT-20 Special Field.

EricParrott
            Participant

Yeah I should’ve mentioned….. waterfowl. I hunt all the way through freeze up, so a gun that functions smoothly when snowing or when it’s 15 degrees out with 25 mph winds. My previous 3 guns have only lasted 2-4 years and then they start malfunctioning…. and I clean thoroughly after each hunt. I should’ve never gotten rid of my Browning A500. That gun was flawless but I wanted to shoot 3.5″ and that was an error on my part.

Anyhow, there are a couple gun shops not far from me and I’ll be going to them to shop, but was hoping to get some feedback first.

The SBE III has caught my eye, but is a bit higher priced from what I could tell. If I can find a deal on one then it’ll make the list. Or a nice SBEII. The SBE II is a bit higher priced but has better reviews than the III from what I’ve seen thus far. Still researching and reading though.

PB
              Participant

I have a SBE, and my Dad has a SBE2, and they both are good guns. On my SBE, I replaced the recoil spring/tube with a stainless one after 12 years of heavy use. My old man’s eagle 2 is still all original and functions beautiful in any weather. I waterfowl hunt extensively and IMO the black eagle is the way to go. I do not have any first hand experience with the SBE3 so I have no relevant opinion on it, but if it’s like it’s predecessor it should be a great gun too.

Derek
                Participant

I think for the money, the browning maxus is the best way to go. I bought one a couple years ago and I don’t regret it one bit. The gun works flawlessly in all weather conditions and shoots all loads including 3.5″ without jamming. That being said, if your looking for a shotgun with a 3.5″ chamber, I would shy away from the browning A5. My buddy bought one last year and it will not eject 2 3/4″ shells. I have heard this is a very common issue with the A5 with 3.5″ chamber. If you don’t want to buy a SBE, then I would suggest the maxus is gunna be your next best option especially at the price. It’s a solid and very quick shooting gun!!!

tadder52
                  Participant

SBEII/III. Hands down.

Maxus a solid second.

Failure is only an opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. -- Henry Ford
                    snow
                    Participant

Eric, excellent high end price range for a semi~

Most of the shotguns today are pretty darn good,however I have a great gunsmith here in town,whats makes him great over most smiths is he is an accomplished shooter international master class sporting clays,so everything from gunfit to tweaking your shotgun or custom work rifle or pistol he is great,he’s been around the shotgun world a long time so I value his opinion.

I’ve had 3 generations of benelli SBE’s,all were great except the SBE2,pretty sure I had a lemon but can’t stand a malfuction in the field and the cycling issue was intermittent,my smith said “dump it” he told me the guyz that hammer away with 3.5″ammo with benelli will have issues as the gun is very light weight,asked his opinion on a handful of waterfowl shotguns coming thru his shop for repairs,all new A5,said pass,maxus issues with the “o” ring spliting causing no cycle but that was two years ago,he strongly recommended the new redesigned beretta A400 xtreme even tho I rarely shoot 3.5″ shells (hevi shot,no need).

To date not one malfunction and I hunt waterfowl/upland from sept thru april so lots of shooting, the beretta not quite as easy to break down compared to benelli but easy none the less,more moving parts being partcial gas operated,the “kick -off” recoil system makes it very soft shooting if felt recoil is an issue,cycles all ammo sizes w/o a hitch,beretta lengthened the forcing cone and back bored the barrel to enhance the shot pattern when they redesigned this shotgun from the extrema2.

Down side for me is the safety,they put the dang thing in front of the trigger guard,but dealing with it.

I would take a look at this beretta and also consider the new SBE3,either way money well spent and will function in all weather conditions especially cold weather.

I know of a sporting goods shop thats worth checking with on price if your interested.PM me.

MeMyselfandEye
                      Participant

The best thing to do is go to the store and see how each gun feels and fits for you personally. My brother has a Super Black Eagle and has had good luck with that. I have the A5 and I personally love the gun and how the hump back lines up with my line of site- but it will not cycle 2 3/4 shells with less than 1oz of shot, also with any inertia driven system making sure you have the gun firmly against your shoulder is a must. I’ve had issues with gas systems getting gummed up too. Like others have stated you have a lot of good options in Benelli, Beretta and Browning. Reeds has some great deals on shotguns so I’d call them!!!

Fishking22
                        Participant

I bought a benelli m2 last year and I love it. Last year I was living in a bird hunter’s paradise out in MT and it help up to the test. I went through 3 cases of waterfowl load and 2 cases of upland load without a malfunction.

Bergy2121
                          Participant

Go with the Beretta A400. It is an awesome gun!

EricParrott
                            Participant

Thanks a bunch for all the feedback! I’m gonna stop and shoulder these guns either tomorrow or Friday and make a decision.

snow
                              Participant

Eric,don’t worry about gun fit off the rack,off the rack these shotguns will fit and feel different for every shooter that shoulder’s one,plus going in with a t-shirt and shouldering a shotgun is a whole different deal come fall when you have heavy cloths on,you can tweak fit as needed with the tools supplied or have a pro do=it for ya,they come with shims for “LOP” (length of pull) shims for cast/cant plus you can upgrade the recoil pad to an aftermarket pad to lighten the recoil of your 3.5’s if needed.

Curious what you’ll land on.

EricParrott
                                Participant

Thanks snow. I’m leaning towards Benelli, but will look at the others to. I know they also have the A400 on the rack so I’ll check that out as well.

Went out today and used my dad’s Benelli Legacy. Man what a gun that is! Got my limit too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.