Spring Crappies!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    highbeeze24

Troll, cast, troll, cast. BANG! Found a little pocket of crappies for the plate. 1/32 ounce pink jig with a crappie minnow 3 feet down. Lots of people moving around searching. 57 degree water. It took 1.5 hours to get 15 total with some bycatch but worth the time. They loved the overcast with a nice breeze but once it let up and the sun came out and the wind layed down they really got tight lipped.

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score? Vince Lombardi
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Paul
      Keymaster

Awesome catch.  That looks like a fun time.

Let's Talk Fishing!

Paul - http://www.LakeStateFishing.com

orandausa

Looks like a good couple of meals there. Glad you got on them.

Thanks for the pics.

Yes, Yes that is a 39" Pike.
          Shackrat
          Participant

Nice! I was on Minnetonka yesterday from 1-5:30 and caught only 1. I was up in Maxwell and Stubbs bay, water temps 57 degrees and just couldn’t find them. Lots of sunfish but that was it- really struggling to find them this year!

highbeeze24

Those broiled crappies were so tasty I had to give it another go yesterday. The wind was howling but still plucked 17 crappies, 3 bass and 2 pike. Had the lake to myself, most likely because I’m the only one stubborn enough to go out in 25 mph winds. You cant choose your day off! Males were all in the 9″-10″ class, females 11″-12″. It was an afternoon of reeling up 20 feet of wind blown slack every time the bobber started disappearing.

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score? Vince Lombardi
              Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              Joejarl
              Participant

Those look like some perfect eaters!  I’m going to give it a go this afternoon/evening.  What kind of water temps were you seeing?  General depth?  I’m guessing mid-depth weeds?

highbeeze24

1. Afternoon. 1/32 ounce pink jig, medium to large crappie minnows worked best. 3 feet under a slip bobber fishing 5 – 7 FOW. Water was 59 degrees. I’m typically a gulp shad guy but I had intentions of fishing a lake where the crappies get in between the shoreline and thick emergent vegetation where their is no room to work plastics. They did the trick out in the open flats just fine.
                  Joejarl
                  Participant

Pretty sure I chose the wrong lake.  Gave Sylvia a try.  Checked a few of the shallow bays and they were dead.  No activity with the exception of one lethargic northern.  Temp averaged around 50-53deg with the warmest being 55.2 in one small area.  Tried fishing from 3 to 9fow.  Probably should’ve been deeper.  Will be out again this weekend.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.