St. Croix 2021 Fishing

Home Forums Lake & River Forums St. Croix River St. Croix 2021 Fishing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Stoutslaya
    Participant

Thought I’d start a new post for the new website and see if anyone had a chance to get out over opener. How was the water level? Is there much for debris in the water? Anyone have any luck fishing? I was in Wisconsin for their opener but fished in the north-eastern part of the state, not the river. Back home and looking to get out here to chase some fish this weekend.

rugs
      Participant

Got out with the boy for a bit on opener-Sunday.water level was low for this time of year. 50 degree temps. Pretty stout N wind.  Bite was VERY slow for us.

Wishin I was Fishin!!
        <*)))><
        • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by rugs.
        • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by rugs.
        orandausa

I got out on the St. Croix a week or so ago and got my first ever Sturgeon.

Hit the water at 7pm, off at 1 am. 3 fish for the night. One side of the boat was in 14 ft and the other 22ft. They all came off the deeper side of the boat.

Bait was a wad of crawlers or crawlers mixed with cut suckers.

43″ and a fun fight.

I don’ think that grin will be gone for a few more weeks.

Yes, Yes that is a 39" Pike.
          Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          go4it
          Participant

Congrats on the sturgeon!  My dad always had stories of fishing on the St Croix at the old Nevers Dam north of Taylors Falls, and where the Sunrise and St Croix came together. He grew up in Almelund so it was just a short trip to get there.  (the house he grew up in has been moved to a park right next to the Lutheran Church in Almelund)   Pa was born in ’29, so that would of been in the 1940’s that they were fishing.  Sturgeon, pike, catfish, walleye, bass, red horse and suckers – caught anything and everything back then — release was not an option, they had to eat!  He always remembered one sturgeon as ok table fare, and the other not too good.  Sure miss the stories…

So do you know if that is a lake, or shovel nose sturgeon?

highbeeze24

Looks like a heck of a time. Great fish!

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score? Vince Lombardi
              Oldstar
              Participant

Congrats on the sturgeon! My dad always had stories of fishing on the St Croix at the old Nevers Dam north of Taylors Falls, and where the Sunrise and St Croix came together. He grew up in Almelund so it was just a short trip to get there. (the house he grew up in has been moved to a park right next to the Lutheran Church in Almelund) Pa was born in ’29, so that would of been in the 1940’s that they were fishing. Sturgeon, pike, catfish, walleye, bass, red horse and suckers – caught anything and everything back then — release was not an option, they had to eat! He always remembered one sturgeon as ok table fare, and the other not too good. Sure miss the stories… So do you know if that is a lake, or shovel nose sturgeon?

Lake Sturgeon are very good, especially smoked. Just like salmon!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.