Sturgeon spearing prep

Home Forums Minnesota Fishing Forums Spearing & Bowfishing Sturgeon spearing prep

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    MrB
    Participant

My buddy and I just got back from prepping the shack, spears, decoys, etc. for sturgeon spearing opener in two weeks on Lake Winnebago. After last years fish, I want another one!

MrB
      Participant

Well, another spearing season for me has come and gone. Unlike last year, the sturgeon eluded both my buddy and I. We were set up in 14 FOW and could barely see bottom. We did manage to see two sturgeon on the camera that was on the bottom. As Mother Nature would have it, the water clarity on Sat. and Sun. went from bad to worse. At one point we could barely see down 8 feet. Probably the reason why everyone around us was moving into shallower water. Most of the sturgeon speared were down by Oshkosh at the mouth of the Wolf River and on Lake Poygan. Apparently, you could see bottom in 9 FOW. Less than 250 fish speared lake wide. It was a slow opener to say the least. The season will definitely run for the entire 16 days if the clarity stays that bad. Oh well. Looking forward to some ice fishing now.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.