Tackle for Troops Newspaper Story

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Duluth – North Shore Tackle for Troops Newspaper Story

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    IronRanger
    Participant

From the Duluth News Tribune 4/8/2007
      By News Tribune Staff Writer Sam Cook

In mid-February, shortly after the Minnesota Air National Guard’s 148th Fighter Wing settled into Iraq, Staff Sgt. Joe Anderson of Duluth sent a post to a Minnesota online fishing forum.

“If anyone is cleaning out their boathouse or garage and comes across any fishing supplies no longer needed, I am deployed in Baghdad with other MN fishermen and all we have is one purple Snoopy rod combo with a broken tip. Anything you’re willing to get rid of free or cheap would be great. If so, contact me. Thanks. Joe.”

Staff at the forum, part of Minneapolis-based LakeStateFishing.com, quickly mobilized a “Tackle for Troops” campaign. On March 22, several packages of rods, reels, line, tackle and other fishing accessories were in the mail to Baghdad, where Anderson is stationed at Sather Air Base. Forum members pooled cash to buy some of the tackle. Manufacturers, including Frabill, Lindy, Northland Tackle and Strikemaster, also contributed.
      “It was unbelievable,” Anderson, 46, said when he learned of the response.

The gear hasn’t arrived yet, but Anderson and several fishing buddies hope to see it soon, he wrote in an e-mail interview from Baghdad.

“It really turned out to be a feel-good project,” said Jeremy Baker, a staff member at LakeStateFishing.com. “We’re looking to continue it. We’re trying to find other men and women there we can help.”

Here are excerpts from an interview with Anderson, who is a firefighter with the 148th, which is based in Duluth:

Q: Where do you fish?

A: We haven’t found out the names of any of the lakes around here, so we will have to just make some up as we go.

Q: How safe is it?

A: Everywhere we travel is inside the wire [in a protected area] but well in reach of rockets and mortars. When we go, we are required to carry with us Kevlar vests, helmet and a weapon. The last time we were out, the air-raid siren went off while one of my Ohio buddies was reeling

in a fish. We got some good laughs from that — after it was over.

Q: Does anyone else [military or locals] fish there?

A: One evening we fished next to two guys from India. They were using an empty water bottle for a spool, string for line and using locally made flat bread for bait. They managed to land a carp that night.

Q: What kind of presentation, baits and lures do you use?

A: Mostly small spoons and spinning lures, silver in color.

Q: What kind of fish are you catching?

A: Carp and what we think are asp [a member of the carp family]. Some might call them Saddam bass.

Q: How has fishing been?

A: Between a few of us, we can usually catch 15 to 20, although our best time out we managed to beach 31 in just over an hour. They were real aggressive just before dark.

Q: Are these fish native or stocked?

A: It’s believed that (former Iraqi president) Saddam (Hussein) stocked all of the area lakes for his own enjoyment. You were not allowed on these lakes unless you were a personal guest of Saddam.

Q: How far is Saddam’s former palace?

A: Saddam had many palaces, one of which is literally a stone’s throw away.

Q: How many times have you fished?

A: Since we first got hold of fishing poles, we have been out more than a dozen times. Every chance we get. Our work schedule is 24 hours on and 24 off. Our off days can be very busy on the base. We volunteer at a clinic that serves Iraqi children from the area. Sometimes we go there to help with medical care, and other times we go just to play with the children (giving them toys and candy). To see the smiles on their faces is priceless.

Q: Is fishing a big deal there, or are you kind of a pioneer?

A: Other than those two from India, I can count on one hand how many other fishermen we have come across. We work with two other units, one from Nevada and the other from Ohio. The nine of us from Minnesota have fished all our lives but out of the others, some have never fished. It’s a great feeling to turn someone on to this sport. Many of them said they will spend more time fishing once they get home. Some have even showed interest in coming to visit Minnesota to fish.

Q: Are others in the 148th fishing with you?

A: Yes, Jon Ries, Zach Graves, Grant Gimpel, Tom Simmonds, Jason McCusky, Aaron Nelson, Mark Halvorson and Dan Lysher.

Q: Have you eaten any of these fish?

A: I have not eaten any yet. I am not sure what contaminants are in these waters. In a combat zone, you never know.

Q: We heard you started with a broken Snoopy rod? How did you get your hands on that?

A: We inquired about fishing equipment not long after we arrived. There was none to be had. A few days later, we traveled to three other bases before we found two rods. A Snoopy rod combo with a broken tip and a telescopic rod. Both had fishing line that was probably the original when the rod was new. On the line was a small hook and bobber. First we tried using corn and any other vegetables we could stuff in our pockets on the way out of the chow hall. My partner, Jon Ries, managed to land one small fish that day on a small piece of carrot. The next spot we tried, Jon found a small silver spoon. The first cast with that got me my first fish and another six before we had to go back to the base.

Q: How much tackle have you received?

A: Our wives and girlfriends sent over some basic tackle to keep us going, but when I placed an ad in the LSF site, it was unbelievable. We had fellow fishermen that we had never met wanting to help us out … Two hours after the ad was placed, one guy from the Iron Range replied and boxed up poles and tackle and sent them the following day. By week’s end there were hundreds of dollars worth of supplies on their way. Rods, reels, tackle boxes, hooks, sinkers, nets, bobbers, line, plastics and the like. Mail takes a while to get here, so we haven’t received anything yet but soon we can all go out fishing as a group. Another nice thing about all this is that long after we leave to come home, troops stationed on this base can enjoy using this equipment.

SteveHatcher
      Participant

To all that made a dream possible, WAY TO GO!

LSF, I am glad to part of this.

HAPPY EASTER!

Tips Up
        IronRanger
        Participant

Who all took part in this drive for the troops I take my hat off to you. What a Great job done by LSF members.

TimBaker
          Participant

Here are a few pics of the paper. Hat off to all of those especially Thunder for making this happen.

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            TuffEnuff
            Participant

Super job fellas. You can be proud of yourselves.

"Fish til it Hurts!"..... Greg Clusiau
              fishnutbob
              Participant

Very nice Guys, Thanks to everyone

Bob Auel

Retired Guide leech lake Walker 2.5 miles from Whipholt access. Bob Auel .Just fishing for FUN now and teaching the kids. Also guiding Wounded Warriors.
                thunder
                Participant

It was one year ago yesterday that the story was published.It seems like so much longer than that.

I know that there are troops that are still using the equipment we sent them. To any of the troops in Iraq that are viewing this we would love to hear from you.

MT Creel or HawgSlayer if either of you two have any contacts there yet that could update us, let them know we want to hear from them. Pics would be great too.

GLVFD130
                  Participant

LSF Members,

I am new to this website, I actually did a Google search for this article. I was here in Baghdad in 2007 when the tackle drive was in full effect.

I just wanted to let you know that most of the items that were sent over here to the “suck” are still in operation (some lures and tackle sank to their death in the waters).

This is my third tour here to Baghdad and its nice to see that the equipment has lasted this long for the troops to enjoy. I have only been here a short time now (less than two weeks) however I plan to get out and do some fishing.

Thanks for everything that you all did for us troops it means alot.

TSgt Grant Gimpel
                    447th ECES FD
                    Baghdad Iraq

thinice
                    Participant

GLVFD130 Welcomne to LSF
                      AND thank you for all you do for us.

MT-Creel
                      Participant

Welcome aboard Grant. Let me know if my old hotspots are still producing. Joe

Keep your tip up...
                        Supporting Member Since April 2007
                        renfenchamp
                        Participant

a

wars are remembered, battles are forgotten, but brothers are eternal
                          renfenchamp
                          Participant

looking forward to using some of the stuff when i get there in July great work guys thanks for your support

wars are remembered, battles are forgotten, but brothers are eternal
                          Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.