Thunder lake

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Grand Rapids Area Thunder lake

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bottlebass
    Participant

I have friends looking at buying a cabin on Thunder lake. Any thoughts on the lake? Looks like OK walleye, good small mouth fishing.

How busy does the lake get being right off the main road like that?

If the fishing pretty good throughout the year? Ice fishing too?

Any general info you can offer would be great, pm me if you don’t feel comfortable posting it officially. THanks!

Jimmyrig
      Participant

Great walleye lake. I’ve fished it before and caught quite a few fish. Some large ones also. Smallmouth too. It wasn’t too busy when we were there and that was on a labor day weekend. Pretty good crappie too from what I’ve been told, but we never really targeted them. There are also some moster slimes in the lake.

In general, it’s a very good fishing lake. I think your friends would be lucky to have a place there.

Let's GET EM!

[email protected]

bottlebass
        Participant

Thanks for the info I’ll definitely pass it on.

Anybody else have any info?

MasterGopherHunter
          Participant

I fished it once a number of years ago. Its a real nice lake, some cool scenery and good structure. I can’t comment too much on the fishing, but did catch some nice largemouth. I wouldn’t be worried about it being too busy. The access is a few miles down a winding gravel road. I don’t know about ice fishing out there, but I kind of remember reading a story from someone who fell through some thin ice out there a number of years ago, but I may be wrong.

I agree with Jimmyrig, your friend would be lucky to have a place on the lake.

FisherMNtv
            Participant

The show Lake Commandos did a show from Thunder Lake(they actually named it at the end). Looked like some great smallmouth bass. I could not find the link to the episode, if I do I will post it.

bottlebass
              Participant

Thanks, everything I’m seeing it sounds like a great lake with a healthy population of multiple species!

bottlebass
                Participant

Well they bought the cabin and I get to go up this weekend for a long weekend. Going to be cold but going to do some ice fishing anyway. They are on the south side so will probably just stick to where I can walk. I’m assuming the lake travel is impossible with a truck? Or does someone plow roads out of the access?

Any recommendations on depths to target for eyes or crappies? Anybody fished it this winter? Can’t wait to get up there and explore!

Fowlminded
                  Participant

Just letting you know that the lake is spring fed so you might want to stay close to any roads or like you said walk out until you figure out where to go. It’s a very nice lake and you don’t need to venture out very far to get to deep water also. Have fun and enjoy the scenery.

bottlebass
                    Participant

Thanks for the info fowlminded. Yeah definitely not a lake I want to go bombing across in my truck whether there is a ton of snow or not.The depth of the lake worries me also.

Any idea of what depths to start at? There is a point just to the side of the cabin that has an inside turn and a good drop off into a basin so will probably just walk out and try those areas.

Reinhard
                      Participant

Looked it up on DNR lake finder. Sure looks like it has everything a fisherman wants. Variety, size, and forage. good luck.

http://www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com

Die young as old as possible.

glenn57
                        Participant

we drive by thunder each time we head to the cabin on hwy 6. past deer haven lodge/resturaut/bar. always activity on the bay there. usually open water right by the road. often wanted to try that lake.

bottlebass
                          Participant

Spent the weekend up there, what a cool lake! Caught lots of perch all little and one evening was set up on hungry rock bass which were fun to catch but not what I was looking for. A ton of snow and no plowed roads from the access and I only have short windows to fish due to having a young kid so basically just set up on the break in front of the cabin. Oh well it was good to get out and the kid enjoyed being outside so much he threw tantrums when it was time to go in

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.