Unusually deformed northern pike

Home Forums Lake & River Forums East Central Minnesota Unusually deformed northern pike

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ToothHunter
    Participant

1. I am concerned and baffled.  I usually fish 4-6 days a week for the last few years and I recently noticed that I had caught an odd looking northern.  So I shrugged it off. Then I moved to another part of the lake approximately 3/4 of a mile from where I caught the first fish and then I caught a second one that was about ten inches smaller.  I made a Wyoming on my graph and continued to fish that area and caught about 15 healthy and Stowell fed. I then moved to the upper part of the lake 2 miles from the last spot I was fishing and I caught 6 northern all 4-7lbs very healthy looking, then I caught this one. (Attached picture)  can anyone tell me what the heck is wrong with these fish?

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      eyes4life
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Some sort of parasite?  I normally would say not enough food but if the majority of the fish look healthy I would say amount of forage in the system is not the problem</p>

Awaiting the next bite...
        • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by eyes4life.
        ToothHunter
        Participant

I agree, a large majority of the other fish have all seemed to be larger and heavier than the same size fish from all of the other lakes in the central part of the state.  Many of the fish that I ended up keeping because of of damaged gills or imennt death their bellies were full of sunnies,  crappies and suckers.

ToothHunter
          Participant

Well I managed to catch a few more deformed northerns last week 07/12/2022 on Coon lake. Whatever the problem is it hasn’t gotten any better.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.