Voyageurs National Park to Hold Listening Session on Kabetogama Lake Winter Operations

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Rainy Lake & I Falls Area Voyageurs National Park to Hold Listening Session on Kabetogama Lake Winter Operations

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kketchmark
    Participant

If you have fished the last couple years on Kabetogama during the winter, Please try to attend this meeting. This meeting will be about the winter road on Kabetogama lake.

https://www.nps.gov/voya/learn/news/voyageurs-national-park-to-hold-listening-session-on-kabetogama-lake-winter-operations.htm

There is talk of plowing another loop to some say to shut it down. We need to keep this access open in the winter.

This road has helped a lot of people to get out and fish, or just go for a nice lake drive.

chris63
      Participant

DOI (dept of interior)has already submitted it’s 2018 budget and I’m afraid a citizens meeting is not going to change the drop in the ’18 spending bill.I suspect they(or who they contract), will probably stop plowing the loop.Don’t get me wrong I think civic(s)participation is a wonderful thing but it may be too late for the ice road.Let us know what is said and how many show up.c63

chris63
        Participant

Does the VNPA pay for winter plowing or is it in the maintenance budget?c63

Shortline
          Participant

Personally, I hope the road goes away. The lake gets enough pressure and limiting easy access it does not hurt my feelings. If a resort wants to plow a road and charge – let them, but a reduction in tax dollar spending is a good thing, IMO.

It's better to be in the boat with a drink on the rocks than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.......
            BrianHoffies
            Participant

Anything ever come of this meeting?

kketchmark
              Participant

Have not heard anything. Have to wait for Ice and see what the park does. Resorts are not allowed to plow a road on the lake. All Roads are plowed/maintained by the Park. Even the Snowmobile trail is. A Person can, once the Park has a road, request to plow there own access from the Park road a certain distance from the main Road, but may not be approved. Vehicle access on the lake is very limited.

chris63
                Participant

In the park boundaries an ice road/snowmobile path should be maintained. Not enough Citizen participation to have the DOI listen to the few that voice their opinion.BTW just because the Budget gets cut or underfunded for the park service does NOT mean we will see a tax reduction.They still have to save the 3 eyed wooden toads and the like!c63

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.