Walleye bobber set up

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Mille Lacs Lake Walleye bobber set up

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    weakside05
    Participant

Last few trips to Mille Lacs we’ve done nothing but throw bobbers and leeches at them and averaged more than 10 per hour. I’ve always stuck to rods roughly in the 6′ to 6’6″ length for all the types of fishing I do, but I’m learning that a longer rod is much better for taking up the slack in the line while fishing this way for walleyes. Just wondering what length, strength, type of tip, etc you guys would recommend for a bobber rod exclusively for walleyes.

Appreciate the advice.

snow
      Participant

The few local bobber guyz I know on the east shore like using 8 to 9’ers.

i find a 7’er works just fine plus I’m cheap why spend good $ fishing for fish ya can’t keep?,use what ya have you’ll be fine.

Ret-ro

I have an 8.5′ which is an old gander mountain steelhead rod. Just had to cut the handle down a few inches. It’s a two piece so it breaks down nice for storage. Longer is nice for taking up line especially around dusk or dark when it’s hard to see your line.

f4rcr
          Participant

if you are looking for a dedicated bobber rod i would say the longer the better i run a 7’3″ medium light when bobber fishing up there i just cant waste the space for a dedicated bobber rod. with the 7 3 i can rig or jig comfortably as well i even use it to pitch jigs with twister tails in the weeds

BrianGross
            Participant

Get yourself one of those 8′ ML rods that slide down into the handle to 7′. I use them and they are great bobber rods.

Beanne
              Participant

Using painted ball jig heads or plain hooks? Still torn between the red hook or the tiger ball jig when jigging leaches…. Help?

rod-man
                Participant

Beanne wrote:
                  Using painted ball jig heads or plain hooks? Still torn between the red hook or the tiger ball jig when jigging leaches…. Help?

gold #8 Tru-Turn hooks with a red GLASS bead
                  faceted is better but smooth works with a large leech

be safe and share the water
                  <*)}}}}}><~~~~~
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.