Weekend Report

Home Forums Lake & River Forums SouthCentral MN Weekend Report

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    highbeeze24

I decided this weekend to attempt to catch at least one white crappie as they are not very prominent here in Minnesota and it is a species I had yet to catch. A friend and I took a trip down south to fish a lake that has a relatively respectable population of whites and we ended up having a pretty good day. We fished until just after 7:00 but the majority of fish came from 5:00 – 6:30. We caught the white crappies earlier before the sun went down hovering around 2 to 4 feet off the bottom and some bonus bluegill that would hug the floor. When the sun went down we started catching black crappie that were roaming anywhere from 4 to 8 feet under the ice. 18 FOW with a chartreuse frostee spoon tipped with euro larvae during the day and switched to minnow heads when the water got dark. After dark I had a light hit on the dead stick that really looked like my minnow was just fluttering but after 10 seconds of this I decided to set the hook just for the heck of it and there was a fish on the other end. I got that fish into the bottom of the hole and the hook popped out and came flying up and hit the canvas. It was a big white crappie that would have gone 15″ all day. Would have been the fish of the season if I could have pulled it off but it sank back down and swam away to never be seen again.

Saturday we stuck it closer to home with the crazy weather but it made for one heck of day. With the system rolling through it was whiteout conditions outside but the fish were on the chew. Ended up having a nice day but as the snow was falling it turned into a rain forest above my heater as everything landing on the canvas was melting from the heat. Coming off the lake that night and getting home was sketchy business but I made it back safe and sound to live to fish another day. It took a couple of hours with the heater on to dry the house out once I got back home. It was a great weekend and I was able to cross one off the list. Pics from our Fridays catch!

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score? Vince Lombardi
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Kirk

Awesome job on those dandy crappies, looks like a good time was had by all. Great report my friend and I need to get out and catch me a batch of crappies this year before it is to late……………Kirk

Only 2 defining forces ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

Joehere
        Participant

Thanks for sharing HB,sounds like fun. Couple more projects and gonna see if I can get a few.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.