Whiteface Res?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    EricParrott
    Participant

Headed up to the Virginia area next weekend and going to try my hand at fishing the Whiteface Reservoir for the first time ever. Good size body of water with structure everywhere by the looks of it. Any suggestions on depths and presentations to try for walleyes (or maybe pannies too)?

Sunrise and sunset - if you see them both, it's been a good day!
      arneb04
      Participant

I have actually fished the whiteface before, one of my very good friends lives in Virginia and that is usually the spot we hit. The access on the south is where we always put in and usually spend our time fishing panfish around the islands where it is easiest to find weed edges. The far west side of the lake is the straightest/easiest to troll, and we have trolled spinners with leeches over there many times and had success. I would say that the average size we catch trends small, around 14″ but that’s pretty adequate. If theres a decent wind, there’s a big island about halfway up the lake from the south, and between the north end of that island and the peninsula facing south is great for drifting, seems to be pretty flat through there. I should say though, I’ve used my navionics on that lake, and it almost never matches the depths on the graph, so I don’t know if the topography changes because it’s a reservoir, or if it was just mapped poorly or what but it’s never been close.

One Word - HUMMINBIRD
        @rdshuntclub
        EricParrott
        Participant

Thanks a bunch for the info! That’ll help me narrow things down a bit without spending a whole bunch of time driving around the lake looking.

Hopefully I can put a little something together and get a few fish to bend the pole! I’ll put up a report when I get back.

EricParrott
          Participant

Well it was a great 2 days of fishing! Caught lots of walleyes, a few cigar northern and some pesky perch & rock bass. Some walleyes were in the 8-14″ range, but most were 15-18″ with the biggest at 22″. By far, jigs & 1/2 a crawler was best, but a few came on jigs & leeches. Chartreuse fuzzy grub in the 1/8oz size ruled the roost. Anchored on a point in 8ft and pitched jigs out into 12ft and snap jigged them back to the boat.

All in all an awesome 2 days of fishing….except for the 2-3″ of rain and 40minutes of hail Saturday afternoon! That was nasty! Will definitely be back next year!

Kirk

Nice to hear you went to a new Lake and you caught some nice fish. I know your a great fisherman and glad you got up there and put the hammer to them……Kirk

Only 2 defining forces ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

EricParrott
              Participant

It was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the lake with all its structure, islands, and a minimal amount of development for the most part. A nice bonus I wasn’t aware of is that the walleyes have a little bit of the blue tint to their tails, like the walleyes on my fly-in trip last year just not as much.

And on a side note, my Lakemaster chip was pretty spot on with all the structure and contours. I spent a few hours studying the lake on my handheld before heading up there. That’s half the fun IMO.

arneb04
                Participant

Glad to hear you had a good time. Interesting to know your GPS was fairly accurate with Lakemaster and my Navionics was way off. We tried fishing crappies out there once in the winter where we walked on the lake off a bank from highway 4, drilled a hole in what was supposed to be a 40ft basin and it wound up being like 15ft. The hole we were looking for was at least 300 yards farther out than the GPS said. Make a short story shorter we didn’t catch any crappies either lol.

One Word - HUMMINBIRD
                  @rdshuntclub
                  Joehere
                  Participant

Thanks for the report Eric,,,was up there early in the year for the first time and planning to return.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.