Whitefish ice for wheelhouse

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Brainerd Lakes Area Whitefish ice for wheelhouse

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Walnut18
    Participant

I don’t know if I will get any response but hopefully. I have an ice castle I want to bring to lower whitefish, trout, or cross lake. Does anybody have an ice report and if these lakes are safe for a wheelhouse. Never ice fished the area and can’t find many bait shops to contact. Thanks.

Bergy2121
      Participant

You could try calling the Holiday gas station in Cross Lake.

MasterGopherHunter
        Participant

I have not been up on those lakes, but there is a solid 18″ on most of the lakes in the Brainerd area, like Gull and North Long. I’ve heard that Big Trout can have some sketchy ice because of the late freezing because of it’s depth so I don’t think I’d advise going out there, especially if you’ve never been there. I think you’d be fine on Lower Whitefish. Not sure about Cross, but the Pine River does flow through there, and right by the public access next to the dam.

Out of curiosity, why are you thinking of these lakes since you’ve never ice fished there before?

MasterGopherHunter
          Participant

There’s also a decent amount of snow on the lakes too. Not sure how easy it is to get around if you aren’t on a plowed or packed down road.

Busdrivers33
            Participant

Walnut18,
              Lower Whitefish is hard to access in the winter time. I would try the northwest side of Upper Whitefish. Search Killworry Resort, they have a plowed road out to some good structure and there is plenty of ice out there. They just have a box outside to pay $2 for road access. The plowed road isn’t the greatest by any means but will get you out there on some fish. Just a FYI, we had a group of ice castles out there a few weeks ago and there was 16″ of ice. Some houses did well.

Redcastle
              Participant

I know it’s a little south but I was on edward lake for trout opener 2 weekends ago and I pulled my 21ft house with my 4 door long box diesel with a wheeler in back and there was plenty of ice. I went off the resort access on the west side.

Walnut18
                Participant

Thanks for the information everybody. I am looking into the area because I will be going to a friends cabin in the area and we will be fishing. I will post back how it went for me. Thanks again

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.