Who was out Thursday at Miss/Minn confluence?

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Miss. Pools 1-3 Who was out Thursday at Miss/Minn confluence?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    WMBTD
    Participant

Last night on my way home crossing Mississippi on 35E I say 2 people in a boat appearing to be fishing the seam between the Mississippi & the Minnesota River at 5pm.

Anyone on here been out?

What access is open?

Carroll
      Bass are Fun, Walleye's are Tasty!

Eat, Sleep, Fish

dirtysteve
      Participant

I just went over the bridge and want to know how many people are NOT out there today- It was bumper boats at pike island!!!!!!

PatrickR
        Participant

I was out sunday afternoon and the bite was very slow. Sounds like it was good saturday though. Off by a day unfortunately.

bottlebass
          Participant

I have also seen a couple boats up next to the island under Ford Damn.

fox
            Participant

I have also noticed a lot of boats out there. What do people fish for out there??

"We must especially beware of that small group of selfish men who would clip the wings of the American Eagle in order to feather their own nest." FDR
              PatrickR
              Participant

Walleye and sauger mostly. You can also catch bass, pike and catfish.

Anyone been by the Lilydale ramp lately? How is it looking? Ice shelf gone yet?

bottlebass
                Participant

fox wrote:
                  I have also noticed a lot of boats out there. What do people fish for out there??

Eyes, eyes and more eyes. Giant eyes. I mean maybe some of them are fishing for bass. That stretch of the river in the same day I’ve caught eyes, catfish, crappies, smallies, rough fish, and a turtle.. . all from shore. fishing in the river is always fun because you can catch anything! But I bet those guys are going for eyes.

Tuck62
                  Participant

“Walleye and sauger mostly. You can also catch bass, pike and catfish.

Anyone been by the Lilydale ramp lately? How is it looking? Ice shelf gone yet?”

I was at Lilydale last Saturday, still a decent ice shelf that prevented us from launching… A sledgehammer might do the trick. Although I did see someone who launched last Friday and said it was fine. I guess the definition of “fine” varies by person!

chris63
                    Participant

Bring a sledgehammer in the boat once launched.If there is refreeze at the landing might be in trouble getting trailered again.Lighter 12 or 14 footer better at this time of year just in case. Don’t ask how I know this.

chris63
                      Participant

Another thing is melt….watch it if you launch in the early am as midday or late afternoon the river can become MUCH more dangerous as the melt off joins the current.Tricky to get boat on the trailer.Bigger boat=more drag.VERY cold water this time of year.c63

PatrickR
                        Participant

Good tips Chris. I was there saturday around noon and saw someone had launched a fishing boat with a roller trailer. I was curious if more has melted since then since it was above freezing sunday and monday. A little sun and warmth tomorrow should help it along.

moose-hunter
                          Participant

Any protected ramps close by? I’m a river rookie with a 19 footer and might find fighting the current alone a “challange”.

PatrickR
                            Participant

Watergate marina is out of the current, but you have to pay a fee. Otherwise the 494 ramp in south st paul is mostly out of the current and the ramp is very user friendly. St Paul Park has a ramp too that is on a back channel with minimal current.

bottlebass
                              Participant

A boat out there right up next to the lock when I drove across the Ford bridge this morning.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.