Morels!!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

They’re popping west of the metro. Slow growers but they’re there.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      haleysgold
      Participant

I see a lot of those Ramps growing and would like to try them.

How do you cook them?

eyes4life
        Participant

Where you located dew2 I’m in nw part of the state was hoping this weekend I would find some we are going to be in the 60s all week

Awaiting the next bite...
          dew2
          Participant

eyes4life wrote:
            Where you located dew2 I’m in nw part of the state was hoping this weekend I would find some we are going to be in the 60s all week

Willmar area,Diamond lake to be exact.Ramps came on heavy then a cool down snow on the ground this morn 1 1/2-2 inches 40 degrees right now.The soil in our gardens is still at or around 40 degrees.

Of all the things I've ever done,
            I aint never had Too much fun.
            dew2
            Participant

haleysgold wrote:
              I see a lot of those Ramps growing and would like to try them.

How do you cook them?

The green tops are great in a salad,Or wilted like spinich.The white bottoms treat them as you would scallions,Raw or cooked.
              My fav is a asparagus spear and ramp wrapped in 1/2 bacon strip cut in 1/2 length wise and fried in castiron dry fry let the bacon provide grease MMMM

Of all the things I've ever done,
              I aint never had Too much fun.
              WalleyeChaser
              Participant

I’m going to go out Friday in hopes of finding a few…northern part of the state I would guess will be another week at least…never know though.

Kirk

Little quiet on the site, I think everyone is in the garden, farmers are in the fields and you Mushroom hunters are hunting your shrooms. Hope the last few days of great weather has pushed them up. My luck I would grab one that looked like an edible one but its not and I end up in the Hospital. Hope you guys are getting them………….Kirk

Only 2 defining forces ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

Jordan
                  Participant

I have been busy out in the woods as well as shore fishing for some panfish. Have had more luck with the shrooms. Found first batch May 1st, season is just barely beginning in Washington co. If we get more rain this could be a banner year. Already found 1/3 of what our total was last year. Good Luck!

KEEP REELING!
                    Attachments:
                    bottlebass
                    Participant

How do you guys get started mushroom hunting? Any good tutorials online I could watch or a book I could read? I’d like to pick this hobby up but am worried I’d kill myself or my family by picking the wrong thing…

WalleyeChaser
                      Participant

First outing of the year yesterday for me. Hiked about 3 hours and only found about 15 blacks. Pretty tough. Seems like it’s still pretty early, next week or 2 should continue to get better, I hope. Here is a pic of a nice fresh one. Happy hunting

Attachments:
                        WalleyeChaser
                        Participant

bottlebass, google search Morel identification. They are an extremely easy mushroom to safely identify. There are a couple look a likes to stay away from. The rule to remember…”when in doubt, throw it out” Other very easy ones (and delicious) are Chicken of the Woods, Hen of the woods, and chanterelles, which come different times throughout the summer and fall. It’s really fun and has become an addiction for me haha

bottlebass
                          Participant

Thanks Walleyechaser. I read this article if others are interested:
                            https://wildfoodism.com/2015/04/02/how-to-find-and-identify-morel-mushrooms/

Morels seem pretty straight forward. I know no one will give up where they find them. But do you guys walk public land like WMA’s and WPAs? State forests or parks? Do you just hike the defined hiking trails and look around or do you beat your own paths?

WalleyeChaser
                            Participant

I’ve never hunted in southern Minnesota, but there are lots of morels down there to be had. Down there I believe you need to find the Elm trees, dead and dying. State parks, recreational areas, hiking trails, deer trails, etc…just have to do your homework. A lot of people say “look up” for good spots as in tree identification. Once you find elms that are dying or dead, look down. Obviously it doesn’t work out that way all the time, but you get better. Getting away from crowds is the tough part I would imagine.

Anonymous

Lots of blacks and some fiddleheads. If there would have been more rain we could have had more. They are starting to dry out. Most of the fiddleheads are to big to pick. Couldn’t find any ramps or asparagus. Great weather though!

Attachments:
                                Jordan
                                Participant

Found a few fiddles and chicken of the woods but no ramps. I don’t know what it is but I cannot find them. Morels are no problem though. If it gets cooler and rains this week we will still have 15-20 days left of picking. Good luck!!

KEEP REELING!
                                  Attachments:
                                Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 128 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.