New to Mississippi River and Rum River in Anoka

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Mississippi North New to Mississippi River and Rum River in Anoka

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    lonerooster
    Participant

Hi All,
      First post here on the forum. I am looking forward to learning alot from many of you. I am not someone looking to poach honey holes or have someone give me their secrets but I would greatly appreciate some direction.

A little about me.. I am originally from Georgia..fished lakes my whole life. Moved to MN about 6 years ago and continued to fish lakes mainly for bass and northerns. I have now just recently had the fortune of moving to Anoka and am currently living on the Rum river (south of the dam ..rum dam that is) right near where it hits the mouth of the Mississippi river.

After spending my entire life fishing on lakes I am now faced with trying to figure out how to catch and target fish in this awesome but yet seemingly overwhelming eco system of the rum and the mississipi river. I have been jigging and throwing spinners and cranks my whole life. Only caught one walleye and it was an accident.

I got rid of my old fiberglass boat and bought a pontoon and a little lund. Any and all advice on navigating that stretch of the rum and mississippi and what types of fish are in the area and how to target them would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you all in advance. God Bless!

https://www.lakestatefishing.com/uploads/smil493db00f2176f.gif

"Whistlin' Dixie Comin' Thru The Trees"
      JJ
      Participant

Extra prop in the back of the rod locker, and extra shear pins taped to the motor hood!

Right now is the hardest time to target the river. Lots of fast moving water, fish are scattered. As summer wears on water level drops, and there is a lot more fishable water.

From Clearwater to Champlin there are special regulations on Smallmouth bass (13-20″ automatic release, 3 fish limit IIRC). One of the greatest gems in the State if not the country for smallmouth.

There are a couple muskies around (few and far between), norther, and walleye are there in decent numbers. From Coon Rapids north there are no flathead cats, but there are channels. There are also buffalo, carp, suckers, handful of crappies and sunfish.

If i was limited to two baits on the river:
        #1Jig&plastic
        #2 Rattletrap (crawfish)

Cranks in general will produce fish of wide variety. For the absolutely largest variety, night crawlers are king, followed by shiners or suckers all fished on a slip sinker rig.

For structure, there are a lot of options. Best bets are to stay near quick moving water, and find current breaks. Bridge pilings, riprap, log jams, dead heads, reefs, etc should be the place to start.

If you are interested in more info let me know. The Upper ‘sippi is my “Home water”. i run a 17’ modified Jon, Center console and a Jet outboard from champlin up to St. Cloud.

little_red_lund
        Participant

LR,

Welcome to LSF. I hope you are enjoying Anoka. That is where I spent most of my youth. I have spent lots of time on both the Rum and the Miss in the area.

From your point to the coon rapids dam movement is easy. Going up river can be a challenge. The river bottom is always changing.

But I would fish above the dam alot if I were you. Also the fish where the Rum and the Elm creek/Mill Pond dump into the Miss. The Mill is just south and across the river on the Champlin side.

When I fish the river I generally float from access to access. If I find a place the fish are about I will motor back to the spot and cover it with a few differnet presentations.

The accesses north of Anoka are in Elk River under the Hwy 101 bridge and one in the villlage of Dayton. I like the float from Elk River to Dayton. The Dayton access is where the Crow River comes out. At the Elk river access, travel up river is pretty easy and tons of islands and back waters to fish.

One other good spot is Cloquet and Foster island north of Anoka. But travel on the river above the 169 bridge can be sketchy at times.

But since you live on the river, trailering your lund up river for a float would be ideal. I have never had any problems at the access with leaving my vehicle and trailer.

Best things about the river is you never know what you’ll catch; we fsihed out a dead body one time when I was in 7th or 8th grade. Still have a few dreams about that from time to time!

Good luck!

GNFSHN
          Participant

I’ve fished from the C.R. dam to Anoka for smallmouth. Leadhead jig with a lime green Yamoto Hulagrub…Pitch the docks and have fun, biggest so far is 5 1/2 lbs..Gonna be try that stretch for walleyes this year….They got to be somewhere

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.
            eyenut

I don’t fish that area and don’t know anything about it, so not much help here.

But…, You guys that are hoppimg on board to help with advice, are just another continuing example of the great LSF crew!

Welcome to LSF lonerooster!

lonerooster
              Participant

Thanks for all the responses and advice..it is greatly appreciated. I think my biggest struggles thus far are dealing with the currents and how to present bait. I have always been a big plastics guy and I feel alot of my techniques that I used fishing on lakes are just not as effective here when dealing with the currents and changing structures.
                An example..should I be pitching my crank baits and reeling them against the current or with it? That is something I keep going back and forth with. Hope everyone had a good bass opener! I was out for a few hours with not much luck, but the guys fishing on the dock next to my home were ripping in the smallies.. Oh how jealousy and envy can consume you haha.

walleyeben
                Participant

cast directly towards shore. your best bet for finding consistant fishing this time of year is current seams, these can come off rock, point, fallen trees, anything to divert the current createing an eddy, these areas will always hold some fish of some species. holding just outside the seam and casting into it and working right to the edge is key as the active fish will be holding at the edge of the seam to well inside of it at times, and work them from back to front, just seems more effective than setting up right at the head, but always check the head of the seam, its a small area but it can be one after another. right now id be fishing rigged chubs or suckers or a jig and minnow, maybe a hair jig and minnow if clarity sucks ive never done well with plastic in the northern stretches.

http://rainydazeoutdoors.com

Walleyes or Whitetails? So many options so little time!

lonerooster
                  Participant

Thanks again.. I will do that, a guy who was fishing off thhe boat launch next to me was pulling some bass in with some tube jigs and angle worms. I need to use some live bait. Never done much with it before but it seems to be what is pulling in fish in these parts.

Fisherthao
                    Participant

Hey was wonderng if its illegal to drink a few casual beers while night fishing in a non state park. No ones going to get drunk. And yes everyones over 21. Planning on a nice night to just chil on the river with a few friends, a lantern, and few beers.

Born to fish
                      lonerooster
                      Participant

Not sure if it is legal but it wouldn’t stop me?

mzlakefinder
                        Participant

Hey Man, I just started fishing this area a few years ago. All good advise from the other replies. Use the following website to figure out the depth you want to fish.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/montrose/miss_river_depth_maps.html

You can also use this if you want to see what the current is like. The St.Paul link has water temp.

https://www.google.com/search?q=usgs+elk+river+mn#q=usgs+mississippi+river+mn

I typically spend most my time shore fishing below the CR dam and in a boat above.

One thing I would like to add is don’t get too close to the 169 bridge pillars. There’s a metal gate in front of them on the north side that could do some damage.

ericj
                          Participant

Enjoyable night last night on the river from champlin on up including swing up the rum. I more pleasure boasted than wet lines. So close to home I may become a river rat

peteywheatstraw
                            Participant

Got into an interesting discussion with a guy at the launch yesterday who claims that smallies are all catch and release from anoka north..has anyone else heard this? I checked online and looks like spec regs but farther north..nothing from elk river south

ericj
                              Participant

I’ve always thought it was st cloud dam (or Hwy 25 bridge in Clearwater) to 101 bridge that’s catch and release.

peteywheatstraw
                                Participant

Thats what i thought also..think he was just trying to be a fish nazis..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.