Report for The Red Door Resort 1-7-15

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Mille Lacs Lake Report for The Red Door Resort 1-7-15

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Bobber
    Participant

The reports over the week that came in are that folks are still catching a number of small walleye. A number of big walleye were caught with a few over the 28 inch mark! Reports of eelpout being caught are also a great sign for the lake. The ice conditions have improved along our access and we have a plan to move our bridge over in front of the access allowing a straight shot at the bridge! We have spent a great deal of time preparing the access with all the cracks and ice movement as of late. We are planning on having our access open to all vehicle traffic along with wheelhouses this coming weekend. Our ice thickness now runs from 19 inches on up!

Please maintain your speed on the ice to 10-15mph….we will be watching this closely.

we have a few openings so give us a call!

Bob

Bob "Bobber" Carlson

You can tell how big a person is, by what it takes to discourage them! "Hooks"

Marco
      Participant

We are heading up and renting out a sleeper at Red Door the weekend of the 17th and getting excited to get out on the ice! What have you been catching them on? I’ll be looking for fishing reports up until then, so any tips would be helpful!

Rywheat
        Participant

I was out by Resort Flat on Saturday and managed 5 Tullibee but couldn’t buy a Walleye I found ice from 16.5″-18″ in the 3 different spots I fished Your guys looked to be busy getting all the house out and the Tractor Backhoe looked to be busy on the shoreline heave

Its not what you know but who you know
          Bobber
          Participant

Thanks for the report….yep spent a lot of time in the backhoe on Friday and Saturday. That machine is a lifesaver!!

Bob "Bobber" Carlson

pikepicker
            Participant

Howdy Bobber! been staying warm? Plan on heading back up to ML weekend of the 17th if all goes alright would be there this Saturday but I am going up to Red with my little bro and Sister instead. Glad to hear the access is finally locking up for you

just a simple fisherman!
              Bplucinak
              Participant

Not one to complain but had an awful experience with red door. The “owner” treated us like a bunch of jerks because we wanted heat in our fish house. Bums me out, since I have heard good things about this place and that is why we chose it. Won’t be spending any more money with them. To many resorts that actually care.

Bobber
                Participant

Bplucinak wrote:
                  Not one to complain but had an awful experience with red door. The “owner” treated us like a bunch of jerks because we wanted heat in our fish house. Bums me out, since I have heard good things about this place and that is why we chose it. Won’t be spending any more money with them. To many resorts that actually care.

I’m sorry to hear about your issues…..I copied this and did forward it to the owner Steve.

Bob

Bob "Bobber" Carlson

fishnpole
                  Participant

Bplucinak, I sympathize with your heating problem. I don’t know all your circumstances involved with the situation you were in. But I just wanted to say that when the thermometer bottoms out and the wind gets to whipping, there are always issues with heat.
                    Steve and his wonderful family have had their hands full with these extreme weather conditions and the issues they cause in their first year after taking over ownership from Fred. (Fred Dally left some very large shoes to fill.)
                    I think they’ve been doing an amazing job, given the conditions. I know Steve and don’t think he doesn’t care about the sportsmen that come to Red Door. He does There are so many aspects of running a big operation on the ice for someone who hasn’t the benefit of years of personal experience. It can become overwhelming at times. I’ve worked the ice for almost 20 years now, so I know.
                    I believe this issue was an isolated incident, because I’ve never heard anything but good overall reports from Red Door and their staff.
                    The fishing is so good out of Red Door, I would give them another chance. Many anglers wouldn’t think of going anywhere else.

Marco
                    Participant

I am going up for a weekend at Red Door resort on the 17th, and will report back on the fishing and the service. So far, they have had exceptional customer service through booking and making sure that everything is set for the group we have coming up. I was recommended over to these guys by several people, and they seem to have a great reputation for making sure customers are taken care.

danemanny
                      Participant

Kinda odd but the first post this person makes is to give negative feedback about someone’s business.

Bplucinak wrote:

chrismackmn
                        Participant

Usually my house (private) will stay between 68-71 degrees. Last weekend we had to shut the holes up in order to keep the heat warm enough. even then it wasn’t above 55 degrees. big winds, not enough snow make it tough to stay warm. Not to mention the pilot kept getting blown out.

I wouldn’t put that on the red door but rather the conditions and if it was too cold you could have gone on shore and asked for a cabin.

riverrat669
                          Participant

We are staying the weekend at the red door in a cabin. and I wanna come down early.will.the landing be open tonight if I come down with the truck and wheelhouse?

the green hornet strikes again
                            Shackrat
                            Participant

That bad report is not consistent with the service we’ve experienced from the Red Door for years. lack of snow and wind have been an issue for us (banking) but I’m sure Bob and the staff have been and are doing everything to make it a positive experience!

broman
                              Participant

I went up through the Red Door a few weeks ago for the first time ever. Usually I go out of other resorts (mostly because they are a little shorter drive for me). I found them to be very nice and helpful. I’d also recommend them.

Ski-junkie
                                Participant

danemanny wrote:
                                  Kinda odd but the first post this person makes is to give negative feedback about someone’s business.

Bplucinak wrote:

My thoughts exactly……

Love my Humminbirds
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • The topic ‘Report for The Red Door Resort 1-7-15’ is closed to new replies.