smelting?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    lispeej
    Participant

Nice report. Thanks

Bobber
      Participant

I remember back in the 70’s we would make the drive have a few beers and come home with smelt!
        Never made a dip or got wet! someone was always giving fish away…that’s if you made friends with them with a few beers! the good ol days…..party’s…lots of them on the bank with fires and drunk people!

great pic above!!

Bob "Bobber" Carlson

You can tell how big a person is, by what it takes to discourage them! "Hooks"

dougger222
        Participant

Pic from another haul this year. We got into them real good one night and at 3:30am left a good run. Stupid sideways smart phone…

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          sundie23
          Participant

I got 5 gallons on grind last year and was sick of cleaning just them. What u do with em all? I bet it was fun getting them tho!!

Stoplis
            Participant

Any updates guys? Want to go but feels like it might be to late even for Duluth location. Want to go so bad but can’t afford just to waste a trip, wife won’t forgive me if I leave her for the whole day with our 6 month old))) Appreciate any input!

dougger222
              Participant

sundie23 wrote:
                I got 5 gallons on grind last year and was sick of cleaning just them. What u do with em all? I bet it was fun getting them tho!!

I have not cleaned a smelt in 5 years. We have buyers lined up before we pull the net. The last 270 gallon haul sold in 2 hours. Each year there seems to be more buyers.

lispeej
                Participant

Our crew got 25 gallons last night. Couldve gotten more but we called it a night around 1am. We were all soaked from them huge waves. Tonight should be better weather. Hope u guys do well tonight if heading out tonight…….

Anonymous

Heading up….was definitely some numbers taken off of p.p last night

Anonymous

P.P was on… first pull while still light out was between 11-12 gallons after that I would say 1/2- 2 gallon pulls were common a lot of females dropping eggs…we were in between the tot lot and wall. I might add that we did a little better than people by us but everyone close was just using a traditional seine. we were running a seine with a 4 ft “purse” in center. Everyone got what they wanted though the traditional seines had to pull a few extra times to make up for it…talked to a guy that was at lester and he said they were getting them just not in large numbers

Xplorer
                      Participant

dougger222 wrote:
                        I have not cleaned a smelt in 5 years. We have buyers lined up before we pull the net. The last 270 gallon haul sold in 2 hours. Each year there seems to be more buyers.

So since it is illegal for non-residents to sell smelt in Wisconsin (you list being from stillwater) how do you explain the above??

Xplorer
                        Anonymous

I guess they came in on lester late last night…one guy said they were thick enough to scoop out by hand…I wouldn’t count on it lasting long with the lack of water

dougger222
                          Participant

Xplorer wrote:

dougger222 wrote:

So since it is illegal for non-residents to sell smelt in Wisconsin (you list being from stillwater) how do you explain the above??

Although I own 4 properties in Wisconsin my residency is Minnesota. In the next few years planning to move into our lake home. My smelting partner who lives in Wisconsin sells them. What other information do you need? I’m guessing you would love cordinances, LOL!

What we do is 100% legal. Someone asked what we do with them, answer sell them, pretty straight forward!

dougger222
                            Participant

On a more serious note. Good run last night for many. Had a couple friends do real well on park point and heard good reports on Lester and other rivers up the shore. One report was not great near tot lot so guessing the run could have been a little spotty. Near the break wall it was good. One group got 500+ lbs. Still a lot of males so it may not be over yet. If you want smelt get up there in the next couple days.

vexman
                              Participant

What’s the going rate for smelt

dougger222
                                Participant

Walmart & Cub has them for about $5-6 a pound. Walmart they are frozen Cub not frozen.

When the bait stores in Ashland had them they were $2-3 a pound. I think my buddy sold them for ten cents a pound.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.