Trophy Crappie discussion.

Home Forums Species Specific Forums Panfish Trophy Crappie discussion.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    JJ
    Participant

To get someones thread back on track, let’s conitue the crappie discussion here!

nofishfisherman wrote:
      People treat Red Lake differently beacuse it is different. Show me a another lake that will pop out an average size crappie of 14″.
      Most lakes a tropy crappie is 14 inches and most people keep fish in the 10-12 inch ranch. On URL a trophy crappie has to be well over 15″, people then keep the 13-14 inchers as eaters. They populations are just different.

I really think you would see a lot more lakes popping out 15″+ fish if there were a size minimum in place, or even better lower the limits (again).

I have one particular lake that I love to crappie fish. Small lake only about 300 acres. For 3-4 years i was consistently catching 14″+ fish with some over 16″. Catching and keeping a couple limits a season out of there was no issue, as we kept maybe 50-75 large fish a season. Great recruitment year after year, and loaded with large fish. Word got out one ice season and it got busy out there.

Now, for the last two yars we have struggled to catch any crappies over 9″. The lake is a simple bowl, with very little structure. It is very easy to target the biggest fish in the lake during ice season. And people taking limit after limit of fish decimated that fishery.

Bobb-o
      Participant

I would love to see lower limits on panfish in general, they are very susceptible to being overharvested in any body of water. I know the DNR did address the idea of reducing limits and size restrictions in their recent roundtable discussions, maybe this will come to fruition.

Remember, the most important thing you can give is your time.
        HotFiretiger
        Participant

Bobb-o wrote:
          I would love to see lower limits on panfish in general, they are very susceptible to being overharvested in any body of water. I know the DNR did address the idea of reducing limits and size restrictions in their recent roundtable discussions, maybe this will come to fruition.

I totally agree! They just dropped down some of the limits in SD and I couldn’t be happier. Great move by the SD GFP.

bioguy
          Participant

Agree 110%. It has to be a formal change in limit too because no matter how much you preach CPR or selective harvest there are going to be those knuckleheads who fill up their bucket, bring it home to empty it or give them away, and then head back out and do it again the next day (or the same day for that matter).

rangerforme
            Participant

bioguy wrote:
              Agree 110%. It has to be a formal change in limit too because no matter how much you preach CPR or selective harvest there are going to be those knuckleheads who fill up their bucket, bring it home to empty it or give them away, and then head back out and do it again the next day (or the same day for that matter).

It really is amazing how many people just can’t go catch fish for fun, to alot its about getting a limit, even if they plan on eating them or not. I hate cleaning em so there is my deterrent.

arneb04
              Participant

There’s locals on our lake that are keeping 16″+ crappies right now. No matter what the regulations are they’ll continue to do it. Even after they get caught, I’m pretty sure these knotheads will keep on. Its a small lake, pressure sensitive, and just like back in the 90s, it will get fished out in about a year. Just seems like how these things go, I’m not sure any regulation would change it. Might help on some of the larger more CO accessible lakes but we’re lost out here. I have no answers, all I can do is watch.

One Word - HUMMINBIRD
                @rdshuntclub
                rangerforme
                Participant

arneb04 wrote:
                  There’s locals on our lake that are keeping 16″+ crappies right now. No matter what the regulations are they’ll continue to do it. Even after they get caught, I’m pretty sure these knotheads will keep on. Its a small lake, pressure sensitive, and just like back in the 90s, it will get fished out in about a year. Just seems like how these things go, I’m not sure any regulation would change it. Might help on some of the larger more CO accessible lakes but we’re lost out here. I have no answers, all I can do is watch.

Takes a LONG TIME to grow a 16 inch crappie and 30 seconds to fillet it, haha. When you eat it tastes the same as an 11 incher.

mt
                  Participant

I’m all for keeping a limit of 10-12 inch crappies for a meal with the family I almost always throw 14+ back cause I don’t like the way they taste they seem to be mushy. But with that being said I would be against a lower limit but I don’t freeze fish and I eat them within 3 days of catching. If I don’t want a meal I will release. I just get so sick of people trying to tell others what they should keep and how many.

THEFOREMAN
                    Participant

I agree 100% with ANY added restrictions on panfish, size, limit etc..

What about in the spring when the hoards of bucket filling fools are shoulder to shoulder in every shallow bay pickin em off one by one. We have a season for every other species we care about why not Crappies.

Maybe a lowered limit of 3 during the months of April and May. Just like ARNEB04 said this ain’t gonna stop the idiots but atleast us honest folks would feel better.

JLundborg
                      Participant

I agree with everything mentioned. I think size restrictions would be good, maybe something like the walleyes, say if the crappie limit were still 10 but only allow two over 12″ or something? Just an idea. I personally have kept crappies everywhere from 7″ to 12″ and the absolute best fish IMO are the ones right around the 10-10.5″ mark.

Tournament bass angler chasing the dream one cast at a time!
                        rangerforme
                        Participant

I actually like the idea of just managing certain fisheries that can grow true giants as trophy waters, be it a C&R only or very small limit. Lots of places guys can go to get a limit of fish to eat.

Northcountry
                          Participant

I don’t like the idea of dropping the overall limits, but I agree with a size restriction. If people would take a limit of 6-7″ ‘gills from a lot of fertile MN lakes some of the average to larger ‘gills would be allowed to grow. Knocking the limit down would disallow people taking numbers of fish that need to be harvested in many lakes, while helping only a few in comparison…

mt
                            Participant

yeah but who the hell wants to clean 6-7 is gills it takes a whole lot of chip size fillets to make a meal

skeeter20
                              Participant

I don’t think it matters what you do for some small lakes. When the word gets out they simply cant handle the pressure.

I have seen a few lakes get fished out in my days and a couple have already made a come back.

I am not for lower limits or size restrictions. There are thousands of lakes out there with panfish in them! The last thing I want to see is more and more restrictions. A few guys keeping come slabs is not gonna kill a lake and if everyone is there pounding 10-12 inchers there wont be many slabs either.

Corey Jahn
                                NPAA 523
                                eyenut

mt wrote:
                                  I’m all for keeping a limit of 10-12 inch crappies for a meal with the family I almost always throw 14+ back cause I don’t like the way they taste they seem to be mushy. But with that being said I would be against a lower limit but I don’t freeze fish and I eat them within 3 days of catching. If I don’t want a meal I will release. I just get so sick of people trying to tell others what they should keep and how many.

I think that most of the posters are targeting the typical “slobs” that lurke amongst us.
                                  I too enjoy keeping a meal of fresh pannies. I’m not going to worry about what people think about me keeping a limit of 10″-12″ Crappies or 8″-9″ Gils.
                                  I’m also not afraid to C&R the whoppers. Actually, it gives me great pleasure to do so.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.