Cousins or Keenum?

Home Forums General Forums Minnesota Sports Cousins or Keenum?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    F6firecat
    Participant

I heard the Vikings announced they will not franchise tag Keenum. This now makes sense with Jacksonville signing Bortles to a stupid contract, that was probably the only other starting QB job for Keenum. Arizona may be interested but as a last resort. So this means they likely are going strong for Cousins, and will fall back on Keenum for a backup plan.

So as much as I didn’t think it would happen, looks like those of you that want Cousins on the Vikes are going to get your wishes.

Just as a thought, the Vikes will be paying Cousins about $5M/yr more than what Rodgers will be getting paid.

JayPlante
      Participant

Rodgers contract will be coming, and he will be highest paid like he should be. This tells me that Spielman has done his back channeling and knows what will take to get Cousins, and they have decided that they can afford it. Also, Cousins has been reported to having the Vikings top of his list.

Doberfishman
        Participant

Why in the world would anyone pay huge money for Cousins? The guy hasn’t proven to be anything but a mediocre QB. If I were the Vikes, I’d pay Keenum the $15 – $20 mil and spend the rest bolstering the front line and d-backs.

Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something - Ron Swanson
          arneb04
          Participant

Only thing I would say for Cousins decision to go to the Jets is he’s probably looking at a 1-and-done payday. You go to the Jets, most likely you become a patsy for the failures of the franchise and your career is mostly over. See Mark Sanchez. It’s exactly the situation Cousins has already been in at Washington but he’s been vocal enough that people can see through the BS. If the Vikings pay him marginally less money for 5 years, there’s a good chance when he’s 34, if he’s as good as everyone thinks he is, he could get another pretty decent contract. Chances are his contact would be restructured for cap space again after 3 or 4 years anyway so he may end up making more money long term than taking the big payday up front. It’s like the lottery, do you take the immediate gratification, or payments over time.

One Word - HUMMINBIRD
            @rdshuntclub
            nofishfisherman
            Participant

arneb04 wrote:
              Only thing I would say for Cousins decision to go to the Jets is he’s probably looking at a 1-and-done payday. You go to the Jets, most likely you become a patsy for the failures of the franchise and your career is mostly over. See Mark Sanchez. It’s exactly the situation Cousins has already been in at Washington but he’s been vocal enough that people can see through the BS. If the Vikings pay him marginally less money for 5 years, there’s a good chance when he’s 34, if he’s as good as everyone thinks he is, he could get another pretty decent contract. Chances are his contact would be restructured for cap space again after 3 or 4 years anyway so he may end up making more money long term than taking the big payday up front. It’s like the lottery, do you take the immediate gratification, or payments over time.

Exactly. If he’s smart and his agent helps him see the big picture he should be looking for some place he can have long term success. The Jets will pay him the most for one contract but can he win there and earn himself a 2nd contract? History would say probably not given the Jets history. Its very possible that by the end of his career he’ll earn himself more money by rejecting a huge offer from a team where he can’t succeed and taking less money from a team that gives him a better chance for long term success and a 2nd pay day.

WalleyeFreak21
              Participant

Why would anyone want to spend so much money on Cousins??? Lets see Derek Carr was highest paid at 5/125mill not to be outdone Stafford got 5/135mill as the highest paid now Garroppolo is at 5/137.5mill. All of which haven’t proven anything yet but got paid. Kirk will get paid because he is a good QB hitting free agency at the right time. It’s just the nature of the buisiness, not long ago it was the WR’s that were getting crazy contracts. Cousins may not have proven anything yet? But I would say he has, if it wasn’t for Kirk the Skins would likely of had 2-4 win seasons the last 3 years each. They have absolutley no team around him and he still is a top 7 qb. I say go get him, at least you know you will get 4,000 plus yards and 25 tds with minimal interceptions if needed. If you were to pay Keenum 5 mill less a year than Cousins, you would rather do that and not know what your going to get out of him? As far a losing players, yup it’s going to happen, if we lose Barr I say oh well, I’d rather lock Kendricks up over Barr anyways. It sure would be nice to have a good solid consistant QB at the helm for the next 5 year as the Vikings haven’t had anything like that since the days of Tarkenton.

"If Hilary Clinton can't satisfy her husband, what makes her think she can satisfy America?" ~Donald Trump
                highbeeze24

They must think they have Cousins in the bag as they are now letting Bridgewater enter free agency. Your only other contingency plan is to sign Bradford to a one year (2 max) and draft a QB. I listened to the powertrip this morning and it’s funny how they all kept talking about drafting one of the top 3 names to sit and develop for a year or two and resigning someone on the roster to a 1-2 year deal. Vikings fans aren’t accustom to drafting at the bottom of the first round because they don’t realize that in all likelihood, all 3 of those guys will be off the board well before the Vikings number gets called and put on the clock. I know Spielman likes to make splashy moves but to move up high enough to pick one of those guys would gut your mid round selections and next years first as you’d be forced to push almost all of them on the table similar to an RGIII trade which turned out to be a disaster for the skins. The plot thickens…

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/teddy-bridgewater-reportedly-expected-to-become-free-agent/ar-BBJEOto?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score? Vince Lombardi
                  nofishfisherman
                  Participant

I don’t think the Vikings had any say in whether Bridgewater was allowed to enter free agency. The question was whether his contract would be tolled for a year due to him being on the PUP list to start the season. Sounds like that decision was made by the league and they decided he can’t/won’t be tolled leaving him a free agent.

I suppose they could have challenged the leagues decision and gone through some sort of appeal process so by not appealing the decision I guess its sort of like they are allowing him to enter free agency but really its a league decision not a team decision.

I think if they could have had him back for a year at $2million they would have taken him. At worst he’d have been the back up while he has more time to find his game after being out for so long. Without him they still need to sign a back up or promote Sloter.

F6firecat
                    Participant

I heard an interesting report about this on Fox News this morning. The NFL is still undecided on Bridgewater, so nothing new with him right now, he will either be tolled or not, but I don’t think he is in the plans, at least not at the starting QB.

And their opinion on Cousins to the Vikes – it would be a kind of “All or nothing” move to go to the Super Bowl next year. His contract would make it almost impossible for them to sign all the free agents the following year. Making them another Lions team going forward, with an over priced mediocre QB that cap straps the team. Barr, Floyd, Kendricks, Hunter and Diggs will all be free agents.

JayPlante
                      Participant

I dont believe much of that to be true, they may lose on of those guys after signing Cousins. The “core” of the defense, Smith,Rhodes,Griffen,Joseph are all signed to long term deals already. D should be solid for awhile, can afford to lose Barr if have to. Cousins will win us more games that Barr has/will

Reinhard
                        Participant

Teddy B. will not be tolled in a report that I seen today so he is free to bargain. good luck. I say keep Keenum. good luck.

http://www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com

Die young as old as possible.

Doberfishman
                          Participant

WalleyeFreak21 wrote:
                            Why would anyone want to spend so much money on Cousins??? Lets see Derek Carr was highest paid at 5/125mill not to be outdone Stafford got 5/135mill as the highest paid now Garroppolo is at 5/137.5mill. All of which haven’t proven anything yet but got paid. Kirk will get paid because he is a good QB hitting free agency at the right time. It’s just the nature of the buisiness, not long ago it was the WR’s that were getting crazy contracts. Cousins may not have proven anything yet? But I would say he has, if it wasn’t for Kirk the Skins would likely of had 2-4 win seasons the last 3 years each. They have absolutley no team around him and he still is a top 7 qb. I say go get him, at least you know you will get 4,000 plus yards and 25 tds with minimal interceptions if needed. If you were to pay Keenum 5 mill less a year than Cousins, you would rather do that and not know what your going to get out of him? As far a losing players, yup it’s going to happen, if we lose Barr I say oh well, I’d rather lock Kendricks up over Barr anyways. It sure would be nice to have a good solid consistant QB at the helm for the next 5 year as the Vikings haven’t had anything like that since the days of Tarkenton.

Well, I guess Cousins is the best mediocre QB on the market right now. Cousins has had some quality players around him but here’s the thing, good and great QB’s make the other players better, I don’t think Cousins does that and just because other teams foolishly paid big money for QB’s doesn’t mean the Vikes should do the same.

Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something - Ron Swanson
                            Reinhard
                            Participant

Starting to question some of these reports from these Viking sites on line. Now I see that Spielman down at the combine said that the Vikings have made no decision on Keenan as far as the franshise tag yet. Lot of rumors and lack of facts i guess. good luck.

http://www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com

Die young as old as possible.

JayPlante
                              Participant

Spielman is notorious for not saying anything truthful, or anything significant this time of year

F6firecat
                                Participant

All NFL exec’s lie this time of year, or tell half truths at best.

The reason the Vikes have not committed one way or the other, is that they don’t have to yet. They will wait until the last minute to decide.

As an example, Cousins is not officially available, the Skins can still franchise tag him, making him unavailable in the free market, but then can trade him for some value.

Same thing with Teddy, the NFL has stated they have not officially decided on whether to toll his contract or not, so he is not officially a free agent either.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.