Cousins or Keenum?

Home Forums General Forums Minnesota Sports Cousins or Keenum?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Doberfishman
    Participant

So the Vikings will be signing their messiah tomorrow. Who do the fans blame when they don’t make the Super Bowl now?

Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something - Ron Swanson
      bottlebass
      Participant

I’m more worried about making it to the super bowl and losing.

iceman22
        Participant

Sign Jordy as jarius Wright’s backup

Millhouse
          Participant

bottlebass wrote:
            I’m more worried about making it to the super bowl and losing.

VALID

SpoonbillSlayer
            Participant

The one thing that scares me about Kirk is that I heard his hands are smaller than Daunte’s were. Hope that isn’t true!

Reinhard
              Participant

I have seen that Cousins has thrown over 4,000 yards the last two seasons so maybe he has a good grip. good luck.

http://www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com

Die young as old as possible.

nofishfisherman
                Participant

Reinhard wrote:
                  I’m just a Viking fan and have been since the team’s first season. You guy’s know more what’s going on than I do. So I heard talk previous to Cousins being signed that it will be harder to sign some of our young defensive stars next season. Will it or not? good luck.

It will depend on how they structured Cousins deal. All we know is how many years and the total dollar value but that doesn’t mean each year of the deal is exactly the same. They can front load it, back load it, wrap some into various bonuses, etc. There are ways to make the cap hit softer on certain years if need be.

Before signing Cousins I’m sure they looked at who they have to resign and when those contracts are going to be coming up and I’m sure they’ve got a dollar amount in mind for how much they’re going to cost them. Then they work Cousins contract around those other commitments as best as you can. Its possible we lose someone but I’m sure they’ve put things in place to allow them at least a shot at resigning the majority of the key players. Of course players can always choose to not resign with the team for whatever reason but thats true no matter what.

Fortunately the Vikings tend to be very good at managing their cap space and have a good amount to work with.

F6firecat
                  Participant

Unfortunately, if the reports are true, it is 100% guaranteed, which means the cap hit will be $28M/year, no way of structuring it differently. With the savings on Bradford, Keenum and Bridgewater, it will help a bit, but still taking up money from other spots.

The Vikes are kind of in a win now, meaning this year, kind of mode because they have 9 free agents in 2019, including Kendricks, Barr, Hunter, Diggs among others. My guess it Barr will likely not be resigned and they will keep Kendricks and Hunter for what ever it takes. Diggs, I don’t know, if he is worth the money or not.

That, and they still have holes to fill hopefully with free agents and the draft. Really, the key nowadays is having a GREAT draft where those players are starters from day one, no rookie contracts. That is how Seattle was build, they are paying for it now, and how New Orleans made such a big jump up last year. And really how the Vikes came back too, just not to that extent.

So really, the signing of Cousins is going to pay for itself this coming your, or it will be a bust. They could have kept Keenum for $10M/yr less money and bolstered other positions and maybe won the Super Bowl as well.

slotfish
                    Participant

F6firecat wrote:
                      They could have kept Keenum for $10M/yr less money and bolstered other positions and maybe won the Super Bowl as well.

I assume Case’s being schooled in the playoffs had something to do with it. Before the Philly game it was basically gonna be a battle of the backups…Foles showed up, Case did not, unfortunately. That, along with his history, and the fact Zim never really went all in on him, pretty much paved the way for him to move along. I liked the guy, but I’m good with the move to Cousins. Now we’ll see if we really do have the best wideout tandem in the league…

F6firecat
                      Participant

slotfish,

See, I don’t see it as a case of Case not showing up. The Vikings game plan was to have a dominant defense, and game control offense. The defense didn’t show up, forcing the offense to play a catch up game, which they were less capable of. Allowing Foles to throw those deep passes for completions was what lost the game. DL should have had more pressure, not allowing the WR’s to run double move routes, burning the DB’s, for long gains. Case did not lose that game, by any means.

Zimmer has to take the blame for his defense collapsing. And I do get it, Zim always seemed to have a lack of trust or something in Case, so yes, the writing was on the wall. But they are still going to want Cousins to run a game control, no mistakes, conservative offense with a dominant defense.

Walleyhunter
                        Participant

Keenum

Reinhard
                          Participant

Yes I wanted to keep him also. Wish he still was on the team. I think he got to know the system and the players liked him. He is mobile which Cousins is not. it would be amazing to see Keenum with a great OF line. But it is what it is. good luck.

http://www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com

Die young as old as possible.

ashtrailguy
                            Participant

Hind sight is wonderful

Walleyhunter
                              Participant

ashtrailguy wrote:
                                Hind sight is wonderful

I thought it was a bad decision when it occurred last year didn’t understand why they would get rid of him, regardless if he was a bench QB he came out and proved himself now time to give him a contract. Well that is how I operate, if someone can do the job hire him and don’t look back!

F6firecat
                                Participant

Oh yeah, Keenum did awesome for Denver…..NOT….got his coach fired.

Keenum was not the answer, so they took their shot at Cousins, was really their only decision. And for all the bashers, go compare Cousins stats this year to Keenum’s last year…..Cousins is better. Keenum just got better defensive support, and better luck, playing a 4th place schedule over a 1st place schedule.

The mistake was believing the Vikings were a QB away from a Superbowl. That was never the case. They had a lucky year, and a miracle win in the playoffs to even get to the Championship game.

This years finish is not all on Cousins, it was a lot more than that. Defillippo was a lot of the problem. But Cousins did not play all that well either, terrible pocket presence, too many turn overs, and with the terrible OL (again!!) he seemed to loose his cool in the pocket too fast.

Cousins is better than Keenum – and was the best available solution. Just too many other team SUCK points.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 85 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.