POLL: Netting Discussion

Home Forums Lake State Fishing Central General Discussion POLL: Netting Discussion

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    GPowers
    Participant

fishnpole wrote:
      Currently, that is what is happening. We are seeing more smaller fish than bigger fish. Two years ago all we were seeing were bigger fish. The lake needs to find it’s balance of young to older fish. The forage base is presently improving and we’re seeing more perch, tulibee and eelpout, along with other baitfishes.
      If the 2013/2014 year classes aren’t put in check, they will deplete the forage base by the time they reach maturity (in two years) and food will again become scarce for their sized fish.
      By protecting the fish smaller than 18″, the Tribal Management is going to again create an imbalance to fish bigger than 20″.
      By continuing with their current slot year-class targeting, they will perpetuate an imbalance that is worse for the lake’s overall walleye population than netting unspawned fish…………………

A cycle, yes, but not a cycle toward a healthier overall walleye population from what I’m seeing daily on the lake.

That’s what I was saying for the most part but people don’t want to hear that. Angers take more of those year classes than nets and we always target the same size fish and people don’t seem to think that hurts as much as nets? That’s crazy to me!
      I would like them put fresh water shrimp or something in the lake like Devils lake has, everything feeds well on them and the fish always seem healthy over there.

sunkinboat
      Participant

GPowers wrote:

fishnpole wrote:
        Currently, that is what is happening. We are seeing more smaller fish than bigger fish. Two years ago all we were seeing were bigger fish. The lake needs to find it’s balance of young to older fish. The forage base is presently improving and we’re seeing more perch, tulibee and eelpout, along with other baitfishes.
        If the 2013/2014 year classes aren’t put in check, they will deplete the forage base by the time they reach maturity (in two years) and food will again become scarce for their sized fish.
        By protecting the fish smaller than 18″, the Tribal Management is going to again create an imbalance to fish bigger than 20″.
        By continuing with their current slot year-class targeting, they will perpetuate an imbalance that is worse for the lake’s overall walleye population than netting unspawned fish…………………

A cycle, yes, but not a cycle toward a healthier overall walleye population from what I’m seeing daily on the lake.

That’s what I was saying for the most part but people don’t want to hear that. Angers take more of those year classes than nets and we always target the same size fish and people don’t seem to think that hurts as much as nets? That’s crazy to me!
        I would like them put fresh water shrimp or something in the lake like Devils lake has, everything feeds well on them and the fish always seem healthy over there.

The two good year classes are ONLY there because of late ice outs to halt spring netting, its not a cycle thing, its a mother nature stepped in and put a stop to spring netting for 2 years in a row and allowed the natural cycle to happen for those 2 years. The only polarizing fact is that people cant clearly see that fact and realize that netting infact does hurt the lake.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same" Ronald Reagan
        2014 LSF Fall Trolling Get Together Champion
        snow
        Participant

As usual Sunkin,spot on…GP is a new comer here regarding this topic,we’ve been around and around over the years and it doesn’t take a 4 year degree to figure out whats taking place here,the netts need to come out period,40yr walleye popul;ation low all started in 1999.

BigWerm
          Participant

GPowers wrote:

fishnpole wrote:

A cycle, yes, but not a cycle toward a healthier overall walleye population from what I’m seeing daily on the lake

GPowers for your reference on page 17 of this link it shows the history of the “slot” and lack thereof prior to 1999 when netting was allowed. So when people blame the nets, they really are referencing both the actual netting and the slot that came about as a result. As far as a cycle, look at the BioMass numbers, which have fallen off a cliff (statistically speaking) since 2005 which would correlate to the overabundance of big fish as a result of the treaty management slot. This is the Blue Ribbon Panel report, ironically enough.

https://www.d.umn.edu/biology/documents/Ahrenstorff2_000.pdf

Crush 'EM
            fishnpole
            Participant

Walleyes that die after being released count toward the state quota and “warm water greatly increases walleye mortality on fish that had to be released because they did not fall within the harvest slot,” the DNR said in a statement.

fishnpole
              Participant

Al Lindner and Dick Sternberg discuss the history of slots.

Four part interview

https://www.facebook.com/TargetWalleye/videos/1685772871690931/

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.