Show Support

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    fishnpole
    Participant

Yeah, the system doesn’t work very well for the voting sportsmen and women here in Minnesota. When lobbyists with donation money provided them by less than 1% of the population can sway votes in Congress, something is wrong.

The other 99% needs to remind them who they are working for.
      Anyone who wants to weigh in, can do so with these representatives:

Committee on Mining and Outdoor Recreation Policy Membership 2015 – 2016

Meets: Tuesday and Wednesday at 2:45 p.m. in Room 10 of the State Office Building.

Representative Tom Hackbarth
      Committee Chair

Tom Hackbarth (R)
      409 State Office Building
      100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
      St Paul, MN 55155
      651-296-2439
      E-mail: [email protected]

Representative Dale Lueck
      Vice Chair

Dale Lueck (R)
      423 State Office Building
      St Paul, MN 55155
      651-296-2365

Representative David Dill
      DFL Lead

David Dill (DFL)
      311 State Office Building
      St Paul, MN 55155
      651-296-2190

Representative Mark Anderson

Mark Anderson (R)
      579 State Office Building
      St Paul, MN 55155
      651-296-4293

Representative Tom Anzelc

Tom Anzelc (DFL)
      317 State Office Building
      St Paul, MN 55155
      651-296-4936

Representative John (Jack) Considine Jr.

John (Jack) Considine Jr. (DFL)
      323 State Office Building
      St Paul, MN 55155
      651-296-3248

Representative Tony Cornish

Tony Cornish (R)
      369 State Office Building
      St Paul, MN 55155
      651-296-4240

Representative Jerry Hertaus

Jerry Hertaus (R)
      403 State Office Building
      St Paul, MN 55155
      651-296-9188

Representative Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson (R)
      421 State Office Building
      St Paul, MN 55155
      651-296-4346

Representative Debra Kiel

Debra Kiel (R)
      537 State Office Building
      St Paul, MN 55155
      651-296-5091

Representative Eric Lucero

Eric Lucero (R)
      515 State Office Building
      St Paul, MN 55155
      651-296-1534

Representative Denny McNamara

Denny McNamara (R)
      365 State Office Building
      St Paul, MN 55155
      651-296-3135

Representative Carly Melin

Carly Melin (DFL)
      315 State Office Building
      St Paul, MN 55155
      651-296-0172

Representative Jason Metsa

Jason Metsa (DFL)
      313 State Office Building
      St Paul, MN 55155
      651-296-0170

Representative Barb Yarusso

Barb Yarusso (DFL)
      307 State Office Building
      St Paul, MN 55155
      651-296-0141

Committee Staff
      Administrator: Stephanie Lamphere 651-296-5528
      Legislative Assistant: Claire Leiter 651-296-4272

Non-Partisan Staff Assigned to the Committee
      Research Analysts: Janelle Taylor 651-296-5039 and Christopher Kleman 651-296-8959

WMBTD
      Participant

Thanks for posting all this.

I’ll write some letters and make some phone calls on this too.

Very similar, here is another example of Government run amuck.

DNR NEWS – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Feb. 17, 2015

Truck driver cited, fined for transporting zebra mussels near Winona

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has issued a civil citation and a $500 fine to a construction company truck driver for transporting zebra mussels.

In mid-December, Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) and contract inspectors found dead zebra mussels on a delivery of temporary sheeting materials to the Winona bridge project and reported the finding to the DNR.

“We take our role seriously, whether it’s constructing the new bridge or protecting the environment, so that’s why we investigated the presence of zebra mussels on the sheeting and researched how the materials were delivered,” said Terry Ward, MnDOT project manager for the Winona bridge.

The sheeting materials were being transported by road to Winona from the Dresbach Interchange bridge project, which is 29 miles south of Winona.

A violation occurred when materials were removed from the Mississippi River and transported over land with attached zebra mussels. It is illegal to transport aquatic invasive species and illegal to attempt to place aquatic invasive species into the water.

Had the materials been moved via the Mississippi River between the two projects, no violation would have occurred.

None of the sheeting was placed in the river at the Winona bridge project, and the zebra mussels were removed as directed by the DNR before related work continued.

The importance of removing all aquatic invasive species, including zebra mussels, is being reinforced with the project contractors. Typically, all contractors that have contracts with MnDOT have been through training and are aware of aquatic invasive species regulations and protocols.

More information about zebra mussels, how to inspect boats and other water-related equipment, and a current list of designated infested waters is available on the DNR website at http://www.mndnr.gov/ais.

This is a great example of WHY we as Sportsmen & Women need to show up in St. Paul at Hearing, along with calling & writing our State’s elected officials.

1st they were moving Sheet Piling from the Mississippi River at the Dresbach Bridge to the Mississippi River at Winona for that new bridge. If they had been moved by barge on the river, that woould have been legal.

2nd, the Zebra Mussels were DEAD!

What is a DEAD Zebra Mussel going to do to the Environment?

You can find links here for the Minnesota State Legislature.
        http://www.leg.state.mn.us/

I’ll post a list of Outdoors related Bills later.

My thinking now is we need to group together, start a PAC (Political Action Committee), Hire a Lobbyist and speak LOUDLY for our Rights and those of our Children and Grand Children or they won’t have anyplace to fish and hunt without breaking some STUPID LAW!

Carroll
        Bass are Fun, Walleye's are Tasty!

Eat, Sleep, Fish

Anonymous

First off, I’m glad to see you doing something you are so passionate about. Great job thus far. I’m not sure where I sit on this issue but I’d like to just say somethings without getting bashed too hard. Again, I’m not against what you believe in…

regarding the above scenario, A fine is almost always going to present itself in that situation. I agree that it’s dumb cause it ‘s the same body of water but one also had to know that it’s illegal to transport them. How would this work if the DNR pulled you over leaving Mille lacs north access but you told them you where just moving to the south access cause of the wind? The law has to be black in white here. Claiming they where all dead is also no argument. I work in a specialized field where we have some pretty stupid rules that you could argue all day over. But the point of the rules are to keep everything/person safe. Take for example, we all need to wear a specific cloths that contain a specific cotton/polyester blend. Bob comes in with a different outfit on but claims its within the blend. Well yeah, but how does everyone know this? we don’t Sure we could look at the tag but if we had to do that for everyone, nothing would get done and people would slip on the issue…Since we all need to wear a specific outfit, we know we are all good. The DNR is not going to inspect every Zebra to see if they are breathing or not nor are they going to follow or trust everyone who is driving to see where they are going…It’s a blanket law, either you have AIS on you trailer or don’t….everything else goes out the window. Common sense can tie up a courtroom for years.

In regards to the lawsuit, I guess I didn’t see this going any other way…simple because the DNR is following the rules/laws the legislators/judges have set. sooooo….see where this is going? the chances may have been there but we are talking the slimmest they could have been. But the ball is rolling. The lawsuit was a dead issue but one can change a law. Thats the road you are going to need to win, hopefully trying to sue the DNR didn’t cause to much hatred between groups pro or against…remember, most of what they do are in response to the judgments and legislators approval.

Let’s take Cantiburry (spelling, sorry) for example. They had a lot of steam moving forward to get the Racinio past, especially with the expansion of the new stadium. Well, long story short, Cantibury got a LOT of MONEY from the tribe to stop it in it’s tracks…I bet some other people did too.

Unfortunately money talks and if this got going good, one could almost expect the same.

Take it with a grain of salt. I hope the best but IMO I don’t think much can change nor has anything got that out of hand. It got pounded a few years back-for a while also. It’s never going to be the same with the amount of fisherman and the technology only gets better. Throw in people getting an aneurysm if the limit is 2 fish. Resorts complaining cause no one is coming up there cause they can’t keep anything? Whats the DNR to do? Who should they please?

Small lakes have this happen too. Hot bite, everyone flocks out there, wipes the lake clean, takes 2-3 years for the fishing to come back, then it gets hit hard again. Reason you don’t hear about those lakes too often is because:
          A) no to little resorts on them (revenue)
          B)probably no netting on them (scapegoat)
          c) smaller lakes-people have little stock in them with limit shoreowners (less voices to be heard)
          D) No name lakes (no one cares…they go to the next lake)

Science
          Participant

ClownColor wrote:
            Imo I think the lawyers are going to be the winners here. Legislation has open pockets… Filled by lobbiests.

I agree the lawyers are the winners in this case, but Mille lacs has also won. It will continue to be managed using modern principles of fishery science, and not by a very small group of loud misinformed people.

fishnpole
            Participant

Science wrote:

ClownColor wrote:
              Imo I think the lawyers are going to be the winners here. Legislation has open pockets… Filled by lobbiests.

I agree the lawyers are the winners in this case, but Mille lacs has also won. It will continue to be managed using modern principles of fishery science, and not by a very small group of loud misinformed people.

Well, then, we’re ALL winners.

fishnpole
              Participant

ClownColor wrote:

In regards to the lawsuit, I guess I didn’t see this going any other way…simple because the DNR is following the rules/laws the legislators/judges have set. sooooo….see where this is going? the chances may have been there but we are talking the slimmest they could have been. But the ball is rolling. The lawsuit was a dead issue but one can change a law. Thats the road you are going to need to win, hopefully trying to sue the DNR didn’t cause to much hatred between groups pro or against…remember, most of what they do are in response to the judgments and legislators approval.

No, C.C., I don’t think personal hatred has any play in this dispute. I still believe that the DNR and their “modern fishery management” is really TRYING to put their “best foot forward, but we’re finding out now that wasn’t the best way “, as Periera put it.
                I only wish they were more successful in their attempt.
                As a worker on this lake, my income is only half of what it was.
                The future is a question mark and I may be forced to take early retirement.
                I’m not happy, but don’t hate anyone. Many of us “loud misinformed people” are in the same boat, or worse.

Doberfishman
                Participant

Science wrote:

ClownColor wrote:

You sure have a lot of faith in a government agency that can’t quite seem to be able to do their job a lot of the time, whether it be from political interference or just plain incompetence.

Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something - Ron Swanson
                  Science
                  Participant

Doberfishman wrote:

Science wrote:

ClownColor wrote:

You sure have a lot of faith in a government agency that can’t quite seem to be able to do their job a lot of the time, whether it be from political interference or just plain incompetence.

The quality of fishing in Minnesota is excellent and the government agency is at least partially responsible for that. Not all lakes can have great fishing all the time because there are too many variables that can effect fish populations, but overall fishing in Minnesota is excellent. In many cases fishing is better today than 30 or 40 years ago. Anytime humans are trying to manage natural systems things can go wrong, but there are highly qualified people managing our aquatic resources and they do a great job.

It seems many people think when a lake has excellent fishing it has nothing to do with dnr management, but when fishing is poor on a lake it is always the dnr’s fault.

I have great faith in the dnr as a whole, just like I have great faith in most people in any profession. I strongly believe most people in most jobs do their jobs as well as they are able.

Minnesota has some of the best fish biologists in the world, and the management strategies they employ are consistent with fisheries science. You could bring in fish biologists from all over the world and many would use the same management techniques as the Minnesota dnr uses.

BigWerm
                    Participant

Minnesota has some of the best fish biologists in the world, and the management strategies they employ are consistent with fisheries science. You could bring in fish biologists from all over the world and many would use the same management techniques as the Minnesota dnr uses.

I agree the Minnesota DNR does a great job in general. It is also VERY apparent they have dropped the ball on Mille Lacs. If netting during the spawn didn’t negatively impact the fishery, why don’t they do it everywhere netting is allowed?

Crush 'EM
                      Science
                      Participant

Commercial netting year round is practiced elsewhere, including some of the best walleye fisheries in the world.

fishnpole
                        Participant

Science wrote:
                          Commercial netting year round is practiced elsewhere, including some of the best walleye fisheries in the world.

Name one that is netted commercially or otherwise from March 1st to May 15th

Science
                          Participant

Lake Erie in Ontario waters is netted year round.

fishnpole
                            Participant

Understanding the Canadian Commercial Fishing Industry on Lake Erie
                              by Jonathan Shoemaker

The natural resources that Lake Erie provides are valuable to millions of people. That is why conversations get heated with the topic of Lake Erie fisheries management. Distrust and blame are often beseeched upon neighboring management agencies. Canadian commercial fishermen are looked upon with disdain by many Americans for their use of gill nets and harvest rates.

A gill net is made of square mesh and is designed to allow a fish to swim through the net to a point of becoming stuck because of the dimensions of the twine. Canadian commercial fishermen must use a gill net with mesh openings no smaller than 2 1/4 inches for perch and 3 1/2 inches for walleye.

Gill nets in Mille Lacs are 1.25″ to 1.75″ and target smaller males.

Gill nets are illegal for use by U.S. commercial fishermen in the Great Lakes.

Name another lake, there Mr. Science.

TrophyCatcher
                              Participant

https://www.lakestatefishing.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=589410#forumpost589410

TrophyCatcher wrote:
                                So how’s that lawsuit coming along? I thought you guys had a rock solid plan to force “the man” to capitulate to the sport fishers, ending the night ban and such.

Looking at the lawsuit history on ML, maybe your lawyer is making fat stacks of donation provided cash on cases he knows cant/won’t win? Win or lose he cashes a check.

Glad to see my cash money making some progress

Fishnpole, you cannot continue to change the parameters of your discussion, and still want to be taken seriously. You asked a question, Science answered. Just because you don’t like the truth, doesn’t mean you parameters can magically change.

Just trollin for trophies.....and the intertubez is full of em
                                fishnpole
                                Participant

Science wrote:
                                  Commercial netting year round is practiced elsewhere, including “some of the best walleye fisheries in the world”.

I don’t think Science needs a lawyer, or a change of subject, T.C.

The Canadian commercial season is open year-round, but is open with reduced harvest levels till after May 1.

Why do you suppose that is?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
                                • The topic ‘Show Support’ is closed to new replies.