Show Support

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    TrophyCatcher
    Participant

fishnpole wrote:

Science wrote:
      Commercial netting year round is practiced elsewhere, including some of the best walleye fisheries in the world.

Name one that is netted commercially or otherwise from March 1st to May 15th

Hmmm.

Erie

Question?

Answered.

Keep beating the horse my good man.

Just trollin for trophies.....and the intertubez is full of em
      LOW1
      Participant

Regarding the “equally preserved” language of the bills described in post 26, if that language is intended to be an “end around” the DNR’s obligation to recognize treaty rights it will just lead to another failed lawsuit. Enough is enough. ML will never be managed equally nor will it be “equally preserved.” Treaty rights prevent this from happening, and that’s just the way it should be.

fishnpole
        Participant

And I know MOST of you have seen the Great Lakes Indian Fish and Wildlife spearing and netting regs that show Mille Lacs is the ONLY lake that is netted during the spawning season here in the ceded land:
          GILL-NETS: Your tribe must have declared a quota for a lake to be available for netting. You may not use nets on a lake at the same time that spearing is taking place (except on Mille Lacs Lake). Rivers are closed to gillnetting. You must possess a valid permit to use a gill net. A monitor must be present when the net is lifted.

Lakes other than Mille Lacs.
          Net fisheries in lakes other than Mille Lacs are intended to provide opportunity for subsistence harvest of
          walleye; so muskellunge and sturgeon may not be kept, nor can northern pike in excess of the bag limit, nor can commercial nets be
          set. Subsistence gillnetting is allowed from June 1 to March 1 in any lake that is 1,000 acres or larger and in all lakes identified in
          9.08(2) of the Model Code. In lakes 1,000 acres or larger, the allowable mesh sizes (bar) are 1.5 to 1.75 inches. In identified lakes
          under 1,000 acres, only 1.75 inch mesh (bar) may be used. Nets may be up to 100 feet in length and 4 feet deep.

Mille Lacs Lake.
          Gillnetting in Mille Lacs Lake is allowed year around. Only subsistence netting may occur from March 2 – May 31.
          Subsistence nets during this and other times may be up to 100 feet in length and 4 feet deep. The allowable mesh sizes (bar) for
          subsistence nets during this and other times are 1.25 to 1.75 inches. From June 1 – March 1 both subsistence and commercial netting
          may be authorized. If authorized by your tribe, allowable mesh sizes (bar) for commercial nets are the same as for subsistence nets
          (i.e. 1.25 to 1.75 inches); however, commercial nets may be up to 300 feet in length and six feet in depth. All nets must comply with
          lifting, marking, and safety requirements. For gill-nets targeted at tullibee, only 1.75 inch mesh (bar) is authorized.

http://www.glifwc.org/Regulations/MN_SpearingNetting.pdf

Why is Mille Lacs the ONLY one they net during the spawning season?
          The lake’s in a phase 4 emergency, fer crissakes.

fishnpole
          Participant

TrophyCatcher wrote:

fishnpole wrote:

Science wrote:
            Commercial netting year round is practiced elsewhere, including some of the best walleye fisheries in the world.

Name one that is netted commercially or otherwise from March 1st to May 15th

Hmmm.

Erie

Question?

Answered.

Keep beating the horse my good man.

Science said “some of the best walleye FISHERIES”

Plural.

Aside from this disputed one that has limited harvest until after May 1st on the Ontario side of Erie, that are being fought by other fishery management agencies on that fishery, whom I’m sure are also using “modern fisheries management”, I’d like to know the other “best walleye fisheries” he was talking about.

Because I can’t find ONE!

fishnpole
            Participant

LOW1 wrote:
              Regarding the “equally preserved” language of the bills described in post 26, if that language is intended to be an “end around” the DNR’s obligation to recognize treaty rights it will just lead to another failed lawsuit. Enough is enough. ML will never be managed equally nor will it be “equally preserved.” Treaty rights prevent this from happening, and that’s just the way it should be.

There’s just no getting around this type of thinking.

“WE CAN NET THE LAKE OUT IF WE WANT TO, BECAUSE THE TREATY SAYS WE CAN!”

After all the walleyes are gone, then what?

I’ve got to think that the tribal elders are wiser than that, LOW 1.

The tribes have shown great wisdom in helping to preserve the walleye in the last couple of years 15,000 lbs. one year and 17,000 in the other.

They voluntarily took less than they could have.

Sports anglers have taken way less than their quota, also.

The young of year has rebounded as a result.

Let’s let the lake replenish.

And we CAN do it EQUALLY!

“Through it all, the lake seems to take care of itself at times. Last year’s net season was bad”, the Mille Lacs Band’s Natural Resources Commissioner Brad Kalk said. “One day the weather and wind combined to chase netters back into their vehicles and home.
              It’s like the lake said to everyone: take off, leave me alone.
              Today I need to rest.”

Science
              Participant

Here is a quote from fishnpole from a previous thread:

“I also would like to point out that Mille Lacs is the only lake in the WORLD that is netted during the spawning season.

If that’s NOT the problem, why is netting BANNED from March 1st to May 15th on every other lake in the ENTIRE WORLD?
                http://www.glifwc.org/Regulations/MN_SpearingNetting.pdf”

So fishnpole it looks like you are misinformed on this topic. Try to spin it anyway you like, but you have stated (more than once) that Mille lacs is the only lake in the entire world that is netted during the spawning season. So is this a mistake on your part or have you been intentionally misleading people to advance your cause? You claim to be well informed on these issues, but, in part, your argument is based on false information. Any other misleading information we should know about? It is amazing some people will blindly join your cause when a few minutes searching the Internet can find holes in your argument. Maybe more people should research this issue themselves instead of following a misinformed person.

fishnpole
                Participant

Name another lake besides the one that is a disputed lake just like Mille Lacs that STILL has limited netting until May 1st.

You can’t can you.

You said “fisheries”, and I quote:

Science wrote:

Gill nets are illegal for use by U.S. commercial fishermen in the Great Lakes.

Who’s misleading who?

LOW1
                  Participant

fishnpole wrote:

LOW1 wrote:

The tribes have shown great wisdom in helping to preserve the walleye in the last couple of years 15,000 lbs. one year and 17,000 in the other.

“Through it all, the lake seems to take care of itself at times. Last year’s net season was bad”, the Mille Lacs Band’s Natural Resources Commissioner Brad Kalk said. “One day the weather and wind combined to chase netters back into their vehicles and home.
                    Today I need to rest.”

What you refer to is a good example of how unequal management can successfully work. The bands continued to exercise their treaty rights (including gill netting), non-band members exercised their much more restricted rights, both sides made adjustments, and the lake improved. It would be a shame if misguided (and unenforceable) legislation was passed in an attempt to do away with this unequal but yet successful management. And it’s time to stop throwing gas on the whole equal protection fire, at least in my opinion.

fishnpole
                    Participant

LOW1 wrote:

fishnpole wrote:

LOW1 wrote:

Today I need to rest.”

What you refer to is a good example of how unequal management can successfully work. The bands continued to exercise their treaty rights (including gill netting), non-band members exercised their much more restricted rights, both sides made adjustments, and the lake improved. It would be a shame if misguided (and unenforceable) legislation was passed in an attempt to do away with this unequal but yet successful management. And it’s time to stop throwing gas on the whole equal protection fire, at least in my opinion.

LOW1, I’ve always appreciated your input on this entire subject of treaty rights versus equal rights, and I would like to take the opportunity to acknowledge those on both sides of this issue who have fought and died or were forever changed for the right to be free in this country to practice their beliefs.
                      That’s what this country was founded on.
                      You know, you can give this same input to the committee members I’ve listed earlier in this thread.
                      Let them know why you think their efforts are misguided and the legislation would be unenforceable.
                      I applaud your beliefs and hope you appreciate mine that basically all men were created equal.

Science
                      Participant

Lake Erie contains multiple fisheries, including recreational, commercial, and subsistence, but since you are not a fisheries scientist you may not have known that a body of water can and often does contain multiple fisheries. There are also many other bodies of water that allow commercial walleye fishing during the time in question.

I do not know what your association is with the save Mille lacs sport fishing money drive, but I do know that collecting money using false pretenses is frowned upon by the legal system. There are false statements on the website regarding fishing seasons that someone might want to fix. That organization should get the facts right before asking for money. Some donors may not be happy if they were lied to in order to collect money.

fishnpole
                        Participant

Oh, fer cryin’ out loud.

Name ’em or quit putting your slanderous posts on here. Lake Erie is only ONE fishery, no matter what you say.

The Canadian’s side of Erie’s commercial season is open year-round, but is open with reduced harvest levels till after May 1. Fish are recorded on each commercial fishing boat every day. All non-target species are recorded as well. There is no size limit for the fish harvested. All walleye that are caught, regardless of size, are supposed to go towards their quota.

“Our problem with the Canadians is the gear they use. It’s our contention that if the walleyes to small or the walleye’s too big, and it doesn’t fit into the sample they want, they have killed the fish anyway. What happens to those fish that are caught and not desirable? Why would they bring those big fish back to the dock? There’s no way on God’s green earth that they can’t use trap nets,” said Bob Collins, President of the Lake Erie Charter Boat Association (LECBA).

The perception from the American general public really gets dark and distrustful regarding these facts. Rumors fly rampant about giant walleyes being stuck with ice picks to break their air bladder, allowing them to sink to the bottom and not have to be counted against quota.

Everybody knows you can’t find any other lakes that net spawning fish, so put up or shut up.
                          Since you’re such a “great” scientific fisheries expert you should know all these fisheries that net spawning fish.

Let’s hear some of ’em.

mikjas2
                          Participant

Just about every thread in the ” General Discussion ” leads to this same kind of pissin match . Especially if god forbid you have an opposing view . Why bother ? Just agree to disagree and move on.

fishnpole
                            Participant

I agree mikjas.

I’m done.

pikepicker
                              Participant

LOCKED! this thread has run it’s coarse and no longer is contributing to the original posters topic!

just a simple fisherman!
                              Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
                              • The topic ‘Show Support’ is closed to new replies.