Ice out predictions

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Mille Lacs Lake Ice out predictions

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    grasshopper
    Participant

Does the dnr officially call it ice out? Just wondering because I could win $200 at work if my guess of April 5th at 2:20pm is closer than any other guess.

GET THE NET!!!!
      Anonymous

grasshopper wrote:
        Does the dnr officially call it ice out? Just wondering because I could win $200 at work if my guess of April 5th at 2:20pm is closer than any other guess.

The Mille Lacs Messenger makes the “official call” and the DNR uses that for “historical” records. The Mille Lacs Messenger will use a select few “lake veterans” to help them make the “call”….

My assumption is it will be today –the 4th….

Isleman
        Participant

grasshopper wrote:

That ice in the southeast corner still looks pretty substantial by satellite and on the lake cams. Also, it’s a pretty cold day so keep the faith grasshopper you might win that $200 bucks yet.

Anonymous

Isleman wrote:

grasshopper wrote:

That ice in the southeast corner still looks pretty substantial by satellite and on the lake cams. Also, it’s a pretty cold day so keep the faith grasshopper you might win that $200 bucks yet.

You can pretty much assume the “call” will be either “ice out on April 4th between noon and 11:59 pm.” or “ice out between midnight and noon on April 5th”. The “secret” discussion ( DNR “closed meeting style”) will be ongoing all day–with a wind switch to the SE in the forecast for late today/ tonight in mind.

grasshopper
            Participant

I know this is getting a bit technical but is there an exact point at each of the two locations, Garrison and Isle Bay, that have to be free from ice?

GET THE NET!!!!
              Anonymous

grasshopper wrote:
                I know this is getting a bit technical but is there an exact point at each of the two locations, Garrison and Isle Bay, that have to be free from ice?

No….”exact” location but within reason. 2-3 years ago, for example, if you had wanted to leave from Garrison by boat from the Concourse( middle of Garrison) …it could not happen as there was a bay full of ice from there south to the point. BUT–from the Garrison Creek Marina–part of Garrison? It was clear to go to Isle. So…no…TOO TECHNICAL?? That scenario was deemed “ice out”.

Anonymous

Not official on April 4th for sure. Maybe the 5th?? The lake is entirely ice free Garrison to within a mile of Isle…go figure. SE wind might take that ice blocking the mouth out in front/north of Isle Bay overnight or tomorrow….

Anonymous

grasshopper
                    Participant

Thanks for all the updates Steve.
                      Do you know if the dnr uses the same data from the messenger?
                      The ice-out contest at my work states “Ice out is determined by the date and time Lake Mille Lacs is free of ice according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources 2016 Ice-Out record.”

GET THE NET!!!!
                      Anonymous

grasshopper wrote:
                        Thanks for all the updates Steve.
                        Do you know if the dnr uses the same data from the messenger?
                        The ice-out contest at my work states “Ice out is determined by the date and time Lake Mille Lacs is free of ice according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources 2016 Ice-Out record.”

Yes….I believe they do.

Walleye-Student
                        Participant

SteveFellegy wrote:
                          Done deal…..about 2-3 pm. today!

http://www.messagemedia.co/millelacs/news/official-ice-out-for-mille-lacs-lake-april/article_f283c370-fb72-11e5-9334-13df2b2299cf.html

Curious, when the ice out is declared that would be when one could navigate a boat from Garrison to Isle without being obstructed from ice. Is that just theoretically, or does someone actually drive a boat to officially confirm? I’m thinking the former but years ago before satellite images someone would actually have to make that trip to “do declare” ! That being, it could be that official ice out years ago was declared somewhat later than now because someone would have to get in a boat and navigate across. I’m just trying to imagine the history of it all. Fun to think about.

Anonymous

Walleye-Student wrote:

SteveFellegy wrote:
                            Done deal…..about 2-3 pm. today!

http://www.messagemedia.co/millelacs/news/official-ice-out-for-mille-lacs-lake-april/article_f283c370-fb72-11e5-9334-13df2b2299cf.html

Curious, when the ice out is declared that would be when one could navigate a boat from Garrison to Isle without being obstructed from ice. Is that just theoretically, or does someone actually drive a boat to officially confirm? I’m thinking the former but years ago before satellite images someone would actually have to make that trip to “do declare” ! That being, it could be that official ice out years ago was declared somewhat later than now because someone would have to get in a boat and navigate across. I’m just trying to imagine the history of it all. Fun to think about.

I and a few others made many a dang cold/wet trips across from Garrison to Isle by boat to declare/confirm ice out. On a few occasions, we had to turn back…ran into ice we didn’t see from shore.

Nowadays (the past 10-15 years or so) between better high power Optics we use and viewing from the highest point of land available plus the sky pics, it is much easier to confirm–as well as MUCH warmer. In other words–we got smarter–and too old to make that dang trip.

Ice out “bets/contests” have been an annual event as many years as I go back and beyond. Early on, everything was, has been and still is used to be as accurate as possible. Unfortunately, that meant too many times, I got wet and cold for 20 plus miles in a boat. Lots of “pressure” the past 2-4 days to get it right…LOL ( I put on over 400 miles the past few days “watching” the ice) Been fights/heated arguments over the years! From some vantage points, every year, even after ice out is declared, nothing but ice is in sight. A few times, people have had to go to a high point and use the 60 power spotting scope to believe us…

tomfellegy
                            Participant

I hope it’s out, I put my dock in today.

Anonymous

tomfellegy wrote:
                                I hope it’s out, I put my dock in today.

A few years back, the ice made it’s first big move and was out about a half mile from the north shore. So this guy who had just bought a cabin along there, is rolling his dock out as I drive by. (I hadn’t met him yet) I put the brakes on and stopped and told him “that ain’t good”! He wasn’t happy but he did pull it back up the bank and back to it’s winter spot. Next morning the ice was 15ft. high on his lawn. LOL He learned, before it became bent up like a pretzel, as many others have doing the same.
                                YES…it is OUT!! Casting off the dock is now good to go….no live bait lol?

tomfellegy
                                Participant

“no live bait” isn’t until opener. I do catch plenty walleye off my dock casting plastics and stick baits. I haven’t seen any information on the dock slot, when it goes into effect and what the limit will be?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.