Vikings 2018 Season News

Home Forums General Forums Minnesota Sports Vikings 2018 Season News

Viewing 7 posts - 166 through 172 (of 172 total)
  • Author
    F6firecat
    Participant

Cousins was the best available option, of which they got for a discount actually, NY Jets offered more money, and his stats this year were better than Keenum’s last year.

A lot of blame has to go to Defillippo, for his poor offensive play calling, which got him fired, not soon enough. And then having to go with a new OC at the end of the year when they were trying to make the playoffs SUCKED.

They had a better record last year, and better results, because of playing a 4th place schedule, some luck, and a miracle catch in the first playoff game. The game against Philly was more realistic of what this team was. This year, less luck, and a 1st place schedule, put the Vikes right where they legitimately are, a mediocre team.

I am not a supporter of firing Spiellman, but he needs to step up. He has been terrible at fixing the OL and the LB core is terrible too, he needs to sure up those two locations on the team before then can be considered contenders. And I think they need a legit OC to coach the offense.

nofishfisherman
      Participant

I’m not sure whats really going on with this team. We’ve had 5 different offensive coordinators in the last 3 seasons with one being fired and one quitting mid season. That would seem to indicate there are issues being on offensive coordinator for Zimmer. Not sure what the issue is, could be he’s impossible to work for or he may not know how to hire the right person. Either way something needs to get figured out and some consistency needs to be established.

I’m also not sure why Priefer still has a job. He’s coach so many kickers to the worst seasons of their career. Its gotten to the point that you need to start looking at the common denominator in all of that and its the coach.

Lastly Speilman probably isn’t on the hot seat YET but he needs to take an honest look at the roster and finally realize the o line is the biggest weakness. No QB can play well consistently when they are getting smacked before they can even take their 3 step drop. If you’re not going to fix the oline then at least game plan around the weakness. If he doesn’t have time to take a 3 step drop then stop calling for 5 and 7 step drops. Find ways to mitigating the weakness through play calling, which of course ties back to the OC position.

When it comes to the Keenum/Cousins debate its easy to look back at the results this year compared to last year but QB play had really little to do with either. Last year we won by having the best defense in the league. We only averaged 1 point more per game last season and thats with a stout D that likely gave them much better average field position. This year our D gave up 6 points more per game, thats the real difference.

Last year Keenum had a career year. His past history clearly indicated that he was not likely going to be that type of QB year in and year out and this year seemed to prove it. They did not sign Cousins to come in and play far better than Keenum did last year, they signed him to come in and hopefully play up to that level year after year and generally he did that while playing much better competition. Most of his starts are actually better than Keenums from last season.

Trick

Just read that Hue Jackson a strong possibility for our new OC

arneb04
          Participant

My personal opinion is that complimentary football is always the best football. We excelled last year because when Shurmur was dealt his hand to play Keenum, he knew how to tailor the offense to suit Keenum’s and the offenses strengths. We hired DeFilippo (just my opinion) because Spielman and company believed the situation in Philly with Foles was the same and DefIlippo had a lot to do with it despite being the QB coach and not the OC. I think DeFilippo was in over his head as the OC calling plays and didn’t know how to orchestrate that success as the lead offensive staff person. I think he also had his eyes on HC jobs after this season and was trying to build something like Sean McVay has built and that is not what Zimmer wanted. Zimmer wanted to control the game and burn clock and get his defense plenty of rest and cushion so he could turn up the pressure. Shurmur could and did do that. They got Cousins because they wanted someone who was accurate and had less of the gunslinger mentality than Keenum had. You could tell Zimmer was never totally comfortable with Keenum out there because he did a lot of random stuff. Our OLine struggles made Cousins look worse than he is, and he still managed to statistically out perform Keenum from last year. The problem is, without consistent offensive production Zimmer never got his defense up and running aside from a few games, and therefore they didn’t look as good. That’s where the complimentary football comes in. Give defense rest and a lead, and they will be 10X better than chasing from behind all the time.

One Word - HUMMINBIRD
            @rdshuntclub
            Reinhard
            Participant

Well said. I’m just a couch potato expert LOL. Could not of said it better. good luck.

http://www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com

Die young as old as possible.

Doberfishman
              Participant

A few laughs for you.

Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something - Ron Swanson
                Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                Reinhard
                Participant

HA HA. I can laugh at those as well as the same kind relating to the Packers. I send them on facebook to my friends who are Packer fans. As the years go by the less upset I get at not making the playoffs or further. I remember one play off game when we had coach Green. It was a long time ago so I may not have all my stats correct but I believe we were 3 points ahead with a little over a minute left in the half. we were near our 40 yard line or so and Green chose to sit on the ball rather than make some plays. He later said that he was ahead and wasn’t going to take chances. We lost that game. Maybe we would of lost it anyway but that is the attitude that gives a lot of fans heartburn. good luck.

http://www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com

Die young as old as possible.

Viewing 7 posts - 166 through 172 (of 172 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.