mille lac to close sept 6

Home Forums Lake State Fishing Central General Discussion mille lac to close sept 6

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    sunkinboat
    Participant

Science wrote:

If you believe the primary predators are the nets, then what do you think about the hook and line, state anglers who have consistently harvested several times more walleyes per year? I know, it is not the walleyes that you kill that is the problem, it is the walleyes that someone else kills. Pretty backwards logic, but exactly what I expect from a few individuals here.

Its when the fish are taken that is the problem. The walleyes are closed to non-natives during the spawn for a reason. Yet the nets are set and a quota is approached during the spawn in a matter of days/weeks. Versus months and months not during the spawn for non-tribal anglers. And besides the netting, how many fish can a native hook and line fisherman keep?

I think the state needs to set a quota for the whole lake. Take the number of estimated hook and line non-native fishermen and the number of native netters and divide it equally into the quota by those numbers and make it all fair for all. Equality, afterall, that’s what AMERICA is supposed to stand for. Its not 1837 anymore, much has changed including the culture of Native Americans. For the record, I have more native blood in me than half the people that are netting.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same" Ronald Reagan
      2014 LSF Fall Trolling Get Together Champion
      uninc4709
      Participant

fishnpole wrote:

BuckSutherland wrote:
        Mille Lacs is just a preview of what’s to come for all of our natural resources with this pathetic DNR leading the charge.

Still nobody has lost their job over this fiasco, just like when they watched the deer herd crater to a 40 year low. They have no clue what the hell they are doing in the woods or on the water.

I’ve gone round and round with these “professors”. They are trying to play God, but they missed a few of His variables in their “modeling”.

lol, some people.

Science
        Participant

sunkinboat wrote:

Science wrote:

If you believe the primary predators are the nets, then what do you think about the hook and line, state anglers who have consistently harvested several times more walleyes per year? I know, it is not the walleyes that you kill that is the problem, it is the walleyes that someone else kills. Pretty backwards logic, but exactly what I expect from a few individuals here.

Its when the fish are taken that is the problem. The walleyes are closed to non-natives during the spawn for a reason. Yet the nets are set and a quota is approached during the spawn in a matter of days/weeks. Versus months and months not during the spawn for non-tribal anglers. And besides the netting, how many fish can a native hook and line fisherman keep?

I think the state needs to set a quota for the whole lake. Take the number of estimated hook and line non-native fishermen and the number of native netters and divide it equally into the quota by those numbers and make it all fair for all. Equality, afterall, that’s what AMERICA is supposed to stand for. Its not 1837 anymore, much has changed including the culture of Native Americans. For the record, I have more native blood in me than half the people that are netting.

The idea of closed fishing seasons for many species is outdated in the fisheries science field. There still are many that believe closed season are nessesary, but the majority of academia believe that the idea of protecting walleyes while spawning is unnecessary. Typically, state and federal regulatory agencies are slow to respond to new ideas from the academic world. It is my belief that we will see an end to closed seasons for walleyes, bass, and maybe pike in the future. Many places no longer have closed walleye season, and they still maintain excellent walleye fishing.

At this point tradition and public perception are the main reasons that we still have closed fishing seasons.

Ski-junkie
          Participant

Science wrote:

sunkinboat wrote:

Science wrote:

The idea of closed fishing seasons for many species is outdated in the fisheries science field. There still are many that believe closed season are nessesary, but the majority of academia believe that the idea of protecting walleyes while spawning is unnecessary. Typically, state and federal regulatory agencies are slow to respond to new ideas from the academic world. It is my belief that we will see an end to closed seasons for walleyes, bass, and maybe pike in the future. Many places no longer have closed walleye season, and they still maintain excellent walleye fishing.

At this point tradition and public perception are the main reasons that we still have closed fishing seasons.

This statement blows my mind….

“There still are many that believe closed season are nessesary, but the majority of academia believe that the idea of protecting walleyes while spawning is unnecessary.”

Truly a major lack of wisdom in my opinion.

Love my Humminbirds
            fishnpole
            Participant

$

uninc4709
              Participant

To say that musky are the last remaining factor in the cause of the decline is ridiculous. Yeah, Mille Lacs has remained a mecca of walleye fishing but sometimes pressure gets to high, the fishing pressure hasn’t just plateaued for the last 2 decades. its been steadily rising with the increase in interest. It was THE spot to go for the hundreds of thousands looking to catch fish from 300 miles around. Between the fishing pressure, netting, and hooking mortality the portion of walleyes musky will eat is minuscule. People don’t fish for musky over schools of walleye… they find the Cisco to find the musky.

Plus, look at how quickly they turned around without harvest! It’s insane, I wonder if the muskies just weren’t hungry the last 2 years?

DirtyDan315
                Participant

fishnpole wrote:

..a fish limit of 6 and thousands of fishermen and women fishing every weekend……

It’s no wonder there aren’t any walleye left!! I don’t agree with the way the DNR has handled everything, but I think fishermen should take some responsibility here.

Walleye-Student
                  Participant

DirtyDan315 wrote:

fishnpole wrote:

..a fish limit of 6 and thousands of fishermen and women fishing every weekend……

It’s no wonder there aren’t any walleye left!! I don’t agree with the way the DNR has handled everything, but I think fishermen should take some responsibility here.

Well I know it’s hard to imagine today but for many years, 2-3 generations ago this lake easily supported that kind of fishing pressure. It was truly the “Walleye Capitol” for that reason. Pick any reason you want for the demise but don’t blame the fisherman. The last 5 years or more the slot and bag limits were very restrictive and this year was all C&R. Not too long ago the allowable harvest was 400,000 to 500,000 lbs. Now it’s down to 28,600 allowed for state anglers. Looking back to 1960 or say 1965, 1970…what was different then? Sorry, can’t blame the fisherman.

fishnpole
                    Participant

DirtyDan315 wrote:

fishnpole wrote:

Yep, that’s right there, ‘DirtyDan”. There ain’t any walleye left, because we were smart enough to let the fish reproduce. But YOU WEREN’T!
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsbj2UIgmZw
                      But we know what’s really going on with the political thieving your tribes are doing to the lake, so give that one up.

fishnpole
                      Participant

Let’s face real facts here. The Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe wants their 61,000 acre reservation back. That means that they will have jurisdiction of Isle, Wahkon, Cove Bay and most of Onamia. Since this, in no way would interfere with anyone’s day-to-day life, why in the heck COULDN’T we let them have jurisdiction? Could we get them to quit netting during the spawning season if we gave them this concession?
                        I say let ’em have it, if they’ll quit the netting.

It’s the only way.

Otherwise we’re screwed..

http://mn.gov/indianaffairs/tribes_millelacs.html

http://millelacsband.com/mille-lacs-band-ojibwe/economy/businesses-and-economic-impact-home/treaty-of-1855/

http://millelacsband.com/district_news/non-removable-band-still-fighting-reservation-2/

Until we capitulate that the Ojibwe indeed do have tribal jurisdiction of this land, they will fight us, killing off the walleyes and gagging us with their “dead fish is a dead fish” crap until we don’t HAVE any more fish.

Then, for those that have survived, you’ll have to sell for pennies on the dollar.

I propose this instead:

1. The reservation boundary is expanded to the 1855 treaty boundary lines.
                        2. A new contract be signed for enforcement of laws in said district.
                        http://millelacsband.com/tribal-government-home/department-justice/tribal-police/criminal-jurisdiction-law-enforcement-indian-country/
                        3.All further negotiations of fishing laws will be negotiated by appointed Mille Lacs Advisory Committee members, Mille Lacs Band Representatives, GLIFWC biologists and MN DNR biologists.
                        4. All further gill-netting toward future quotas will begin AFTER May 15.
                        5. We all live in peace and prosper instead of wrecking a fishery that is important to us all and being at each other’s throats.

The Chippewa already promised they wouldn’t tax residents, but there will have to be agreements made to that affect.

This ain’t rocket science, folks.

Attachments:
                        You must be logged in to view attached files.
                        Bobber
                        Participant

So fishnpole, with all the roads that are within the map your listing. What concerns should one have with any band members driving with out vehicle insurance? As you know they are not required to have any while on the reservation..they have thier own rules!!!

there are other “little” issues…

Bob "Bobber" Carlson

You can tell how big a person is, by what it takes to discourage them! "Hooks"

TFISHER247
                          Participant

Little of column A, little of column B, definitely not column C. We can put some blame on everyone for going there day in and day out keeping their limit of eyes. Yes the walleyes sustained their population back in the day but back then there wasn’t as many people fishing it……Yes we can put some blame on the native crowd netting because plain and simple that just didn’t help the cause. I remember as a kid driving up pas mil lacs in the spring and going to the access and wathcing 5 gallon bucket after 5 gallon bucket being put in trucks. BUT ANY TRUE SPORTSMAN KNOWS BLAMING MUSKIES IS JUST STUPID. THE MUSKIES WHAVE BEEN THERE FOR A VERY LONG TIME. AND SCIENCE SHOWS THEY DON’T EFFECT THE WALLEYE POPULATION. LOOK AT ALL THE BEST EYE LAKES IN THE STATE, THEY ALL HAVE MUSKIES AS WELL.

kewlfisherman
                            Participant

So the real question here, are they biting??
                              I might be making a trip next week after work to drag some lures for a bit. What do you guys think this time of year? Lead and long line over the flats? Get the rapalas just above the bottom and troll? I think that sounds like a good time;)

Kewlfisherman
                              Fish On!!!
                              Shackrat
                              Participant

I’ll be taking advantage of that next week as well- we haven’t been there since last winter, we’ll be dragging spinners & worms/leeches. My son is going up tonight with some guys, I’ll post an update after I hear from him-

fishnpole
                                Participant

$

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)
                                • The topic ‘mille lac to close sept 6’ is closed to new replies.