mille lac to close sept 6

Home Forums Lake State Fishing Central General Discussion mille lac to close sept 6

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Bandersnatch
    Participant

Any time that someone uses the term “true sportsman” God kills a puppy.

snow
      Participant

careful what you ask for fishpole,..

fishnpole
        Participant

$

SurlyRobot
          Participant

uninc4709 wrote:
            To say that musky are the last remaining factor in the cause of the decline is ridiculous. Yeah, Mille Lacs has remained a mecca of walleye fishing but sometimes pressure gets to high, the fishing pressure hasn’t just plateaued for the last 2 decades. its been steadily rising with the increase in interest. It was THE spot to go for the hundreds of thousands looking to catch fish from 300 miles around. Between the fishing pressure, netting, and hooking mortality the portion of walleyes musky will eat is minuscule. People don’t fish for musky over schools of walleye… they find the Cisco to find the musky.

Plus, look at how quickly they turned around without harvest! It’s insane, I wonder if the muskies just weren’t hungry the last 2 years?

I still have yet to see one of the anti-musky guys explain their issues with the 20+ year old study where the stomach contents of almost 1100 muskies were examined and only 5 walleyes total were found. I would assume they just find it too difficult to read a scientific article and are probably too stubborn to accept it anyways.

bottlebass
            Participant

Bandersnatch wrote:
              Any time that someone uses the term “true sportsman” God kills a puppy.

Sad but true.

beaver2011
              Participant

SurlyRobot wrote:

uninc4709 wrote:
                To say that musky are the last remaining factor in the cause of the decline is ridiculous. Yeah, Mille Lacs has remained a mecca of walleye fishing but sometimes pressure gets to high, the fishing pressure hasn’t just plateaued for the last 2 decades. its been steadily rising with the increase in interest. It was THE spot to go for the hundreds of thousands looking to catch fish from 300 miles around. Between the fishing pressure, netting, and hooking mortality the portion of walleyes musky will eat is minuscule. People don’t fish for musky over schools of walleye… they find the Cisco to find the musky.

Two years ago 174 of the best musky fisherman(87 teams) in the united states fished mille lacs for the Professional musky tournament trail(PMTT). Out of the 87 boat field, and two days of fishing, 6 muskies were caught…..tell me again how muskies are affecting the walleyes on mille lacs.

The rich man invests his money in silver and gold, the wise man invests his money in brass and lead
                fishnpole
                Participant

I guess I’M the guy they’re pointing this paranoid discussion at, so I’ll answer ’em, although this is in no way connected to the original posts.
                  1. Musky are huge eating machines that eat their own weight in forage at a rate that is beyond any other fresh water fish. (VERY aggressive.)
                  2. These fish are an invasive species to Mille Lacs.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAOmXeDW5_Q

Therefore, they are yet another change to Mille Lacs. Unless you guys want to start to question whether Mother Nature got it right the first time. THEY ARE NOT INDIGENOUS TO MILLE LACS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ytSbGx2Wo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSEJVea_3xI

fishnpole
                  Participant

beaver2011 wrote:

SurlyRobot wrote:

uninc4709 wrote:

Two years ago 174 of the best musky fisherman(87 teams) in the united states fished mille lacs for the Professional musky tournament trail(PMTT). Out of the 87 boat field, and two days of fishing, 6 muskies were caught…..tell me again how muskies are affecting the walleyes on mille lacs.

After the predators in Mille Lacs killed off all the cisco and the perch’ what do you THINK they’re going to eat?”

And just because these musky guys can’t catch fish isn’t much of an arguement for the muskies not eating walleye. They probably were’t hungry ‘cuz they were FULL OF WALLEYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jordan
                    Participant

As said before muskies and walleyes coexist on several great fisheries in this state. And even though my avatar shows a muskie picture I fish for walleyes and panfish tenfold compared to muskies.

KEEP REELING!
                      chris63
                      Participant

I do have to say the last few years(3 to be exact)the Tullibee(cisco) have recovered nicely……..3 or 4 different year classes.To say the Musky(or any)predetor fish have ate them all is just inacurate!c63

fishnpole
                        Participant

Normally they could co-exist in a body of water that would have forage enough for them. When the forage has diminished like it did with the lake being “managed” for trophies, like the DNR admittedly DID, the forage diminished (just like we said it would) and the juvenile walleye population vanished.

I’ll concede that most of this problem was cannibalistic larger walleye. but if you think the Muskies and Northerns didn’t play their part in the fall of Mille Lacs, you’re wrong.

Jordan
                          Participant

They are a problem, but only by a percentage. One that should be examined but not exploited.

KEEP REELING!
                            fishnpole
                            Participant

chris63 wrote:
                              I do have to say the last few years(3 to be exact)the Tullibee(cisco) have recovered nicely……..3 or 4 different year classes.To say the Musky(or any)predetor fish have ate them all is just inacurate!c63

The last few years we have been getting better with the walleye, too, chris, right? The perch are coming back, slowly, too, right?
                              They haven’t netted much and we haven’t harvested much, so that was then and this is NOW.

Closure isn’t warranted in my book at any rate. They’ve got a healthier fishery right now than I’ve seen in years.

otter
                              Participant

fishnpole wrote:
                                I guess I’M the guy they’re pointing this paranoid discussion at, so I’ll answer ’em, although this is in no way connected to the original posts.
                                1. Musky are huge eating machines that eat their own weight in forage at a rate that is beyond any other fresh water fish. (VERY aggressive.)
                                2. These fish are an invasive species to Mille Lacs.
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAOmXeDW5_Q

Therefore, they are yet another change to Mille Lacs. Unless you guys want to start to question whether Mother Nature got it right the first time. THEY ARE NOT INDIGENOUS TO MILLE LACS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ytSbGx2Wo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSEJVea_3xI

You can’t really believe the stuff that you say. So you really think that a 30lb musky is going to eat 30lb of fish in what a day, week, month? Funny how these ravenous aggressive fish are extremely elusive to anglers, more so than almost any other fish. You have zero evidence to any claims and your ignorance and ignorance by the resorts is a big reason the economy around Mille Lacs is going downhill instead of growing with the advent of two world class fisheries. Simply you guys have refused to diversify or adapt, what happens is your fault.

Secondly musky are not an invasive species. They are introduced. There is no evidence they have harmed the ecosystem in the lake which is a requirement to be considered an invasive.

fishnpole
                                Participant

Yeah, otter, I’m afraid in my ignorance I really do believe what I say.
                                  The musky will eat any thing it can catch. It’s a big stomach with teeth. The only reason it doesn’t favor walleyes, is because it’s not as fast as walleyes.
                                  It WILL eat walleye, if it can catch one.

As far as THIS crap goes:
                                  “You have zero evidence to any claims and your ignorance and ignorance by the resorts is a big reason the economy around Mille Lacs is going downhill instead of growing with the advent of two world class fisheries. Simply you guys have refused to diversify or adapt, what happens is your fault. “

You have zero evidence to any claims.

Introduced the zebs, too.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
                                • The topic ‘mille lac to close sept 6’ is closed to new replies.